Cover, Crime and Safety, News

BREAKING: Police investigate robbery near Watsco Center on campus

Update, 7:06 p.m., Aug. 16, 2017: According to a Crime Advisory sent out by UMPD overnight, the victim was walking toward her vehicle nearby the Watsco Center when an unidentified “dark skinned male wearing a grey hoodie” approached her. The suspect stole her jewelry after stating he had a gun. He then fled in a Nissan Altima with tinted windows driven by another suspect.

Coral Gables police are investigating a robbery that occurred on the University of Miami campus Thursday night.

The incident happened between 8:30 and 9:30 p.m. near the Watsco Center, according to officers on the scene. The victim is believed to be the relative of a UM student, according to police. No information was available on what was stolen.

One northbound lane of Ponce De Leon Boulevard was blocked near the University Metrorail station while police investigated two possible suspects.

“The situation going on right now is the result of possible suspects that were involved, that we believed were involved in a strong armed robbery on campus. The individuals were seen by one of our officers that matched the descriptions,” said Coral Gables Police Chief Edward Hudak. “Subsequent to that they were stopped by our officers and taken into custody without incident. The investigation is continuing we do not believe these were the subjects that were involved.”

Police are searching for two suspects, one of whom was wearing a gray hoodie and black pants. Police are also searching for a black Nissan with tinted windows that they believe is connected to the crime.

Campus was full of parents and new students Monday and Tuesday as the freshman class moved into their residential halls and attended orientation events. One residential assistant in Stanford Tower was reportedly told by a new student’s parents that they witnessed someone getting robbed behind the Watsco Center.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Tommy Fletcher

Tommy Fletcher can be reached via email at multimedia@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter @_tommyfletcher.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...