Cover, Crime and Safety, News

BREAKING: Police investigate robbery near Watsco Center on campus

Update, 7:06 p.m., Aug. 16, 2017: According to a Crime Advisory sent out by UMPD overnight, the victim was walking toward her vehicle nearby the Watsco Center when an unidentified “dark skinned male wearing a grey hoodie” approached her. The suspect stole her jewelry after stating he had a gun. He then fled in a Nissan Altima with tinted windows driven by another suspect.

Coral Gables police are investigating a robbery that occurred on the University of Miami campus Thursday night.

The incident happened between 8:30 and 9:30 p.m. near the Watsco Center, according to officers on the scene. The victim is believed to be the relative of a UM student, according to police. No information was available on what was stolen.

One northbound lane of Ponce De Leon Boulevard was blocked near the University Metrorail station while police investigated two possible suspects.

“The situation going on right now is the result of possible suspects that were involved, that we believed were involved in a strong armed robbery on campus. The individuals were seen by one of our officers that matched the descriptions,” said Coral Gables Police Chief Edward Hudak. “Subsequent to that they were stopped by our officers and taken into custody without incident. The investigation is continuing we do not believe these were the subjects that were involved.”

Police are searching for two suspects, one of whom was wearing a gray hoodie and black pants. Police are also searching for a black Nissan with tinted windows that they believe is connected to the crime.

Campus was full of parents and new students Monday and Tuesday as the freshman class moved into their residential halls and attended orientation events. One residential assistant in Stanford Tower was reportedly told by a new student’s parents that they witnessed someone getting robbed behind the Watsco Center.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Tommy Fletcher

Tommy Fletcher can be reached via email at multimedia@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter @_tommyfletcher.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...