Academics, News

Adobe Creative Cloud available for free to students, faculty and staff starting this August

University of Miami students will soon be able to access Adobe Creative Cloud (Adobe CC) programs on their personal computerized devices for free this fall.

In an e-mail sent to the UM community on July 24, UM’s Information Technology (UMIT) announced that students, faculty and staff will be able to download the Adobe CC beginning August 1. Previously, only UM faculty and staff had access to the software for free.

Senior Aaron Gluck, a software licensing employee at UMIT and IT Student Government (SG) Liason, said UMIT and SG have been working on providing students with free access to Adobe programs for years. However, it wasn’t until this past academic school year that the push toward the goal gained momentum. Gluck said he was in charge of providing SG and UMIT with reasons why students needed free access to the programs

“Adobe is so useful for all students whether it is to learn for personal use or a career skill. It helps students branch out and learn more useful tools,” said Gluck, a political science major.

The Adobe CC suite includes a variety of different programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, InDesign and Acrobat Pro, along with others aimed at providing users tools for graphic design, video and photo editing and web development. A regular student membership for the Adobe CC would be $19.99 per month or $239.88 per year, without taxes included.

Gluck said, as far as he knows, students will be able to benefit from the free programs for “the extended future” as long as they remain enrolled at UM.

“Student Government and UMIT have worked really hard to make this happen and we hope that a lot of students will download the software and take advantage of the incredible opportunity we’ve been given,” Gluck said.

Students, faculty and staff are able to download the suite anytime after August 1 by visiting it.miami.edu/adobecc.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...