Academics, News

Adobe Creative Cloud available for free to students, faculty and staff starting this August

University of Miami students will soon be able to access Adobe Creative Cloud (Adobe CC) programs on their personal computerized devices for free this fall.

In an e-mail sent to the UM community on July 24, UM’s Information Technology (UMIT) announced that students, faculty and staff will be able to download the Adobe CC beginning August 1. Previously, only UM faculty and staff had access to the software for free.

Senior Aaron Gluck, a software licensing employee at UMIT and IT Student Government (SG) Liason, said UMIT and SG have been working on providing students with free access to Adobe programs for years. However, it wasn’t until this past academic school year that the push toward the goal gained momentum. Gluck said he was in charge of providing SG and UMIT with reasons why students needed free access to the programs

“Adobe is so useful for all students whether it is to learn for personal use or a career skill. It helps students branch out and learn more useful tools,” said Gluck, a political science major.

The Adobe CC suite includes a variety of different programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, InDesign and Acrobat Pro, along with others aimed at providing users tools for graphic design, video and photo editing and web development. A regular student membership for the Adobe CC would be $19.99 per month or $239.88 per year, without taxes included.

Gluck said, as far as he knows, students will be able to benefit from the free programs for “the extended future” as long as they remain enrolled at UM.

“Student Government and UMIT have worked really hard to make this happen and we hope that a lot of students will download the software and take advantage of the incredible opportunity we’ve been given,” Gluck said.

Students, faculty and staff are able to download the suite anytime after August 1 by visiting it.miami.edu/adobecc.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...