Academics, News

Adobe Creative Cloud available for free to students, faculty and staff starting this August

University of Miami students will soon be able to access Adobe Creative Cloud (Adobe CC) programs on their personal computerized devices for free this fall.

In an e-mail sent to the UM community on July 24, UM’s Information Technology (UMIT) announced that students, faculty and staff will be able to download the Adobe CC beginning August 1. Previously, only UM faculty and staff had access to the software for free.

Senior Aaron Gluck, a software licensing employee at UMIT and IT Student Government (SG) Liason, said UMIT and SG have been working on providing students with free access to Adobe programs for years. However, it wasn’t until this past academic school year that the push toward the goal gained momentum. Gluck said he was in charge of providing SG and UMIT with reasons why students needed free access to the programs

“Adobe is so useful for all students whether it is to learn for personal use or a career skill. It helps students branch out and learn more useful tools,” said Gluck, a political science major.

The Adobe CC suite includes a variety of different programs including Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, InDesign and Acrobat Pro, along with others aimed at providing users tools for graphic design, video and photo editing and web development. A regular student membership for the Adobe CC would be $19.99 per month or $239.88 per year, without taxes included.

Gluck said, as far as he knows, students will be able to benefit from the free programs for “the extended future” as long as they remain enrolled at UM.

“Student Government and UMIT have worked really hard to make this happen and we hope that a lot of students will download the software and take advantage of the incredible opportunity we’ve been given,” Gluck said.

Students, faculty and staff are able to download the suite anytime after August 1 by visiting it.miami.edu/adobecc.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...