Administration, Cover, News

Jeffrey L. Duerk chosen to serve as UM’s new executive vice president and provost

duerk-full.jpg

Dean and Leonard Case Professor of the School of Engineering at Case Western Reserve University Jeffery Duerk. Photo courtesy Case Western Reserve University.

Jeffrey Duerk, current dean and Leonard Case Professor of the School of Engineering at Case Western Reserve University, will become the University of Miami’s new executive vice president and provost in July. Duerk succeeds former provost Thomas LeBlanc, who left UM this year to become George Washington University’s president.

Duerk’s appointment was announced earlier today via an email sent by President Julio Frenk to the UM community. In his statement, Frenk described Duerk as “an accomplished engineer and scientist, as well as a respected academic with deep appreciation for the social sciences, the arts, and the humanities.” In this way, he is similar to his precursor; LeBlanc studied computer science and headed the computer science department at the University of Rochester.

Duerk has been part of Case Western’s faculty since 1988. During his time at Case Western, Duerk has served as the chair of the Departments of Radiology and Biomedical Engineering and the founding director of the Case Center for Imaging Research. According to the center’s website, it is an interdisciplinary academic research center, designed to “develop, cultivate and support leaders in creating innovative and relevant imaging technologies that will transform the future of patient care.” In 2012, he was appointed as the dean of the Case School of Engineering.

Duerk received his bachelor’s degree in electrical and electronics engineering in 1981 from Purdue University, as well as his master’s degree in electrical and electronics engineering from The Ohio State University in 1983. In 1987, he obtained his Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering from Case Western.

June 1, 2017

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...