From command line to deadline, becoming a journalist for the digital age

My first experience with The Miami Hurricane was reading a column about loud sex and a resulting funny nickname. Needless to say, I don’t regret joining the paper.

Of course, I kid. I found that column the summer before my first semester while checking out TMH. Really, my journey with the newspaper began during that first semester. I started as a copy editor, moved on to copy chief, made way to assistant online editor and finally pitched a proverbial tent as online editor.

As a computer science major, I often get odd responses when people find out about my journalism minor. Clearly, it must be some side gig or a high school aspiration that’s taking time to die. When people imagine a “coder,” they may think of a bespectacled person sitting in front of a computer screen, confined by the walls of a cubicle.

My experience with The Hurricane and elsewhere, however, has shown me otherwise. Coders are no longer just the people in the back room keeping the website up. They sit side-by-side with reporters, writers and designers to help push journalism forward.

The collaboration among all members of the newsroom has changed how we do news today. Stories are no longer just monoliths of text; they’re newsletters, podcasts, phone applications, videos, photos, graphics and websites. We don’t do these things just to say, “Oh, look at how fancy our website is!” We do these things to make the readers’ experience all the more impactful. Pursuing impactful stories while adopting digital techniques is the new standard of journalism.

The Hurricane has worked to reach this new standard of journalism. We’ve tackled big topics all my years here and tried our hand at podcasts, interactive websites, more photos and video. And, like every other publication in the world, we can surely do more.

It’s been an absolute pleasure working for The Miami Hurricane, and my time with this publication will forever be a cornerstone of my college experience. The people and the work we’ve done makes this a truly great publication. I have complete faith in The Hurricane’s staff to continue doing great work in print and – more importantly – online.

Sherman Hewitt will graduate with a Bachelor of Arts in computer science.

Sherman Hewitt

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...