Bike club offers tune-up services, cycling trips for riders of all skill levels

Allen Liu UBike.JPG

UM Bicycle Club sets up a tune-up station at the 2017 Hug the Lake event. Club president Allen Liu plans to take the repair station to other areas of the Miami community with funding from a $500 Butler Center social innovation grant the club received this year. Jackie Yang // Managing Editor

Since fall 2016, the UM Bicycle Club, or UBike, has provided students the opportunity to serve the campus community while also participating in an environmentally friendly activity.

Composed of 15 to 20 students who share a passion for cycling, the student organization sets up free tune-up stations at the Rock or the Breezeway to assist other students with mechanical problems. Since its inauguration, members have helped around 60 students.

Club President Allen Liu plans to take the repair station to remote areas, including homeless shelters. With a $500 social innovation grant the club received from the Butler Center, Liu wants to set up shop outside the shelters at least three times a semester.

The club not only provides services to other cyclists but also hosts regular rides to two main destinations in Miami-Dade: Key Biscayne and Deering Estate. Each ride can be between 20 to 40 miles long depending on the route they decide to take. The club is open to all skill levels, from beginners to experienced cyclists.

“Our goal is to appeal to all the facets: the hard riders, the casual riders and everyone who commutes,” said long-distance cycler Kawan Amelung.

So far the club’s method for recruitment has been word-of-mouth, mentioning it to anyone with a bicycle.

The bike club plans to appeal to members who do not currently own bikes as well. The club recently purchased bikes that can be rented out to students.

The bike club has been a great way to bring people together and to participate in an environmentally friendly and healthy form of exercise, Liu said.

“We see a lot of people who ride to class and we see a lot of people who ride recreationally,” said Liu. “The bike repair program really brings everyone together.”

Correction, April 21, 12:39 p.m.: A previous version of the story stated that the UM Bicycle Club was planning on purchasing club bikes. At the time of publication, the club had already purchased club bikes available for rent.

Rachel Hilt

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...