Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: More to museums than boring myth

I was delighted to read about Ms. Paquette’s positive experience at the Lowe last Thursday (Lowe After Hours combines social justice, carbs at Feminist Pizza Party 4.0). I will confess, however, to being disappointed by her lead (“Let’s face it, a trip to the art museum reminds most of us of dull elementary school field trips during which we counted the minutes until lunch.”) As the Lowe’s Director and Chief Curator, I think it’s important to debunk the myth of art museums as musty, old and boring. Right now at the Lowe, for example, you can enjoy works by some of the world’s most important contemporary artists, including Jackson Pollock and Andy Warhol. You can also see Renaissance masterpieces on loan from the Metropolitan Museum of Art, masterworks from Asia and Africa, an entire wing devoted to stunning works of 20th- and 21st-century glass art, and remarkable photographs of Black male Dandies from across the globe.

The art we have on view, whether part of our permanent collection or featured in the dozen or so temporary exhibitions we mount each year, is accompanied by a dynamic range of programs. This includes our monthly Lowe After Hours, which is designed with students in mind and features refreshments, music, and opportunities to explore our galleries at your own pace. We have a full calendar of events for all to enjoy so I invite you to explore our website and, most importantly, to experience the Lowe for yourself. In particular, I welcome you to the upcoming opening of our new student-curated exhibition, “Fish Tales: Stories and Legends from the Deep,” next Thursday, April 20, 7-9 pm (as with all of openings and major events, refreshments will be served.) I guarantee your visit will not be dull and you will definitely not be counting the minutes to lunch!

Sincerely,

Dr. Jill Deupi

Jill Deupi, J.D., Ph.D.
Beaux Arts Director and Chief Curator, Lowe Art Museum
University of Miami

Correction, 3:15 p.m. April 17, 2017: A previous version of this letter stated that the student-curated exhibition “Fish Tales: Stories and Legends from the Deep” would be opening on Thursday, April 21. The exhibition will be opening on Thursday, April 20.

There is, indeed, a three-man quarterback race at the University of Miami. As spring came to a close ...

The Miami Hurricanes, for the past few years, have gone as far as their defense would take them, let ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando: ▪ The quarterback play was ...

The Miami Hurricanes just wrapped up their spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, where th ...

Mark Richt, speaking publicly for the first time since retiring as the Miami Hurricanes’ coach, said ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

The No. 23 Miami Hurricanes dropped the series finale on Saturday at No. 8 Louisville, 9-6. ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...