Campus Life, News

Student media leaders elected

A slate of new editors will be taking over the reins of Distraction Magazine, Ibis Yearbook and The Miami Hurricane next year after the annual Board of Publications elections.

Marissa Vonesh, a double major in journalism and history, was elected as the editor-in-chief for Distraction Magazine for the 2017-2018 school year. She became involved with Distraction her freshman year and has served as managing editor and executive editor for four issues. Vonesh said she is looking forward to enhancing the team aspect of the Distraction staff next year.

“I want to combine journalism and art to inform the student body,” Vonesh said.

Junior public relations major Alize Ramirez is the editor-in-chief elect for the Ibis Yearbook. She previously served as the lifestyle editor and organizations editor.

“I decided I was ready to take on this position in hopes of bringing fresh ideas,” Ramirez said. “I’m excited to bind a year of memories into a book that students can look back on.”

Editors-in-chief aren’t the only positions shifting next year. The Miami Hurricane (TMH) will be beginning next year with a new business manager, sophomore Ryan Yde.

“I have a great deal of pride in the work that was done before me in building this brand and intend to keep marching toward excellence,” Yde said in a message.

Yde, who is majoring in political science and minoring in international studies, has been a sales representative for TMH for a year and a half.

For junior Isabella Cueto, the editor-in-chief elect of The Miami Hurricane, running for the position was foreshadowed. Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely told Cueto she could see her becoming editor one day in one of Cueto’s first interviews as a freshman. Cueto, the current news editor, said she ran for editor-in-chief because she felt she had the experience to be an effective leader for a place she calls her “home on campus.”

“It’s allowed me to, in a way, try out every org and every major and every interest on campus without actually being a part of it,” Cueto said. “I get to be a bio major and member of the community garden and a professor of anthropology, just by reporting on it.”

Amanda Herrera

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...