Basketball, Profiles, Sports

Club basketball player transitions from college athlete to law school student

SPORTS_Muk Profile_HC.jpg

Jamaican-Canadian athlete and law student Mukiya Post left his professional basketball dreams behind to pursue a law degree at UM. Hunter Crenian // Senior Photographer

The Division I basketball team is not the only team with standout talent at the University of Miami.

Mukiya Post, a 25-year-old member of UM’s club basketball team, once played for Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec.

Born in Victoria, British Columbia, the Jamaican-Canadian found his way around before receiving a scholarship to attend Miami’s law school, where he is now in his first year.

Post’s childhood was split between Western Canada and the Caribbean. He then briefly attended Champlain College in Vermont and Bishop’s University in Quebec before settling on Concordia, where he was the team’s starting shooting guard for two years.

“I got some of my greatest memories [playing at Concordia],” Post said.

After graduating from Concordia in 2015, Post had a difficult decision to make. He could try to become a professional basketball player or choose to follow a different path.

“I was at a fork in the road in life – in terms of pursuing basketball or pursuing law school,” Post said. “And I chose law school.”

Post said he plans to look for a job in sports law so that he can work with athletes. He said he is interested in possibly dealing with criminal defense or personal injury cases. One thing is certain: Post is serious about his academics.

“He’s a pretty studious guy,” said Santi Guerra, one of Post’s roommates at UM. “He’s always doing something.”

Post’s 6-foot-4 frame can be intimidating. But the former varsity athlete is living proof not to judge a book by its cover. One of his high school passions, a dance performance class, was not one in which he used his size to his advantage.

“I think most people wouldn’t expect me to do [that],” Post said. “It’s kind of embarrassing.”

As much as Post loved playing for the basketball team during his time as an undergraduate, it was far from easy.

“It was definitely tough trying to balance everything, in terms of school and basketball, and I was working a little bit, too,” Post said. “But I really, really enjoyed it.”

However, even as he turns his focus toward his academic success, Post – whose teammates refer to him simply as “Muk” – stays true to his basketball roots.

“He loves basketball, and he realizes that it’s what has gotten him here,” Guerra said.

Post keeps a balance between schoolwork and extracurricular activities, something that many law students struggle to do, Guerra said.

“Sometimes, I look back and I think, maybe I could’ve pursued sports a little more,” he said. “But I’m happy where I’m at now.”

Lior Kozai

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...