Crime and Safety, News

Gunman opens fire inside Shops at Merrick Park

The Shops at Merrick Park were shut down after a gunman opened fire inside the Equinox fitness center leaving two dead, including the shooter, and one wounded. Amanda Herrera // Assistant News Editor

Update, 9:12 p.m., April 12, 2017: Hortis died early morning on April 9 following being transported to a nearby hospital after being shot by Wilson on April 8.

A gunman shot two people at the Shops at Merrick Park in Coral Gables early afternoon Saturday, leaving one dead and another injured before turning the gun on himself.

According to the Miami-Dade Police Department, at approximately 12:55 p.m., shots were heard inside the mall coming from the second floor. The shooter, identified as Abeku Wilson, 33, was an ex-employee of the Equinox fitness center inside of the Shops at Merrick Park. Coral Gables Police Department Officer Kelly Denham said the shooting took place inside of the gym and “was not an active shooter” situation but rather a targeted incident.

According to The Miami Herald, Wilson shot and killed the gym’s general manager, Janine Ackerman, 35, and wounded fitness manager Marios Hortis, 42, before killing himself. Hortis later died at the hospital the following day, April 9.

Social media accounts for Wilson say he attended the University of Miami in the past.

UM student Gabby Rosenbloom was at the Shops during the shooting to advertise a show for the UM theatre department when she and her friend saw people running. Rosenbloom said that around 1 p.m., the owner of Janie and Jack, a children’s clothing store, told them to get inside the store and seek shelter. She said herself, three of her friends, the store’s two owners and three patrons including two children remained in the storage room in the back of the store.

“As freaked out as we all were, we tried to keep calm for the two little girls. It was sort of comforting to have them there because in having them there it sort of distracted us,” she said.

At 1:59 p.m., police officers escorted Rosenbloom and the rest of the civilians inside the clothing store down the escalators and to a holding area.

“We were very lucky. I never thought we would end up in a situation like that,” Rosenbloom said.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Women’s soccer World Cup champion Megan Rapinoe urged University of Miami students to fight for equa ...

Engineering and business professors met with officials from the City of North Bay Village and Miami- ...

University of Miami and Miami Dade County Public Schools educators say bringing mental health inform ...

The School of Architecture and College of Engineering are offering new master’s programs to train th ...

Ian Diaz Brannon is the recipient of the Jenkins Scholarship, a full-tuition scholarship awarded to ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.