Proven Trump-Russia collusion would be disastrous for Democrats as well

As a liberal who vehemently opposed Donald Trump’s campaign, there is nothing I wanted more than for Hillary Clinton to be president instead of Donald Trump. He is awful for America. He embarrasses America at every turn, with every tweet and Sean Spicer press briefing. As bad as it sounds, Mike Pence would make a significantly better president. Despite all of this, I do not want Donald Trump to be impeached and I do not want it to be proven true that he colluded with Russia.

He may be bad for America, but that does not even compare to the ramifications of the revelation that the presidency has been compromised by Russia. It would be one of the darkest days in American history. It would signify the complete failure of our democratic system and that our country was successfully attacked by a foreign enemy.

All of this seems obvious, but if you listen to liberal America, there is a hysteric and near-optimistic hopefulness that Trump colluded with Russia. I am not downplaying the necessity of investigating possible collusion. If there was collusion, we need to know and respond appropriately. But absolutely no one should be rooting for that result. We should hope that our democratic institutions held strong, as they always have, and delivered a fair election.

President Trump may be horrendous, but America can and will survive. On the other hand, proving Trump colluded with Russia would trigger a constitutional crisis unlike any our nation has ever seen. Simply impeaching him would not suffice. Essentially, his whole administration would be illegitimate because the election would be illegitimate. Pence could not become president because he never should have been vice president in the first place. No matter what the result, there will undoubtedly be people left feeling upset. Chaos and divisiveness would inevitably ensue.

This is certainly not a pretty picture that any liberal, no matter how much they abhor Trump, should desire. In fact, doing so is entirely anti-American. Rooting for Trump collusion with Russia is rooting for the downfall of our democracy. So let’s hope it is not true.

Ryan Steinberg is a freshman majoring in political science.

Ryan Steinberg

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...