Columnists, Vantage Point

Internet authoritarianism threatens shift away from democracy

The last degree of privacy enjoyed by internet users will soon be stripped in favor of communication corporations ability to track activity and slow or block service accordingly. Congress passed this bill last week, and President Trump is expected to sign it into law.

Congressional Republicans and Donald Trump are doing this under the auspices of supporting private business, claiming that the opportunity for sale and trade of a massive amount of consumer data could bolster business. However, understand that if internet service providers have the ability to monitor the entirety of our internet activity and complete freedom to sell it to advertisers, so could the government.

Politicians are not far from being able to legally buy the internet activity of people they hold personal vendettas against – other politicians, private citizens and journalists alike.

“Today’s vote means that Americans will never be safe online from having their most personal details stealthily scrutinized and sold to the highest bidder,” said Jeffrey Chester, executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy, to the Washington Post.

The ability to manipulate the every day activity of private citizens is what totalitarian leaders do to impose a state of fear and subdue civil resistance.

I have no intention of being inflammatory or spewing liberal talking points when I say this. I’m studying politics and history in Central Europe. The Czech Republic, as well as Poland, had rich traditions of democracy once. I am reminded here how easily those traditions were dissolved by brutal communist dictators. People went along with it because they initially did not take the dangers of these egomaniacs seriously.

Now, in Hungary and Poland, authoritarianism is rising again. Hungary has not truly been a democracy for five years. If anywhere would be safeguarded against that kind of regime shift, it should be the country and the people who lived under it and had to take drastic measures to reverse it. However, they too are vulnerable to the rhetoric of extreme nationalism, xenophobic populism and strongman leaders.

We are no different from them. In fact, the lack of authoritarianism in our history probably makes us more naïve  and prone to dismissing these dangerous steps.

The tactics dictators use to transition from democracy to nationalist authoritarianism include threatening political enemies with incarceration, discrediting and controlling the free press, censoring avenues of communication like the internet, privatization of prisons, use of corporations for political control, terminology framing foreigners as a disease, undermining election results through baseless claims of voter fraud, restricting travel and using “security” as an excuse to deny rights.

Trump has done or proposed all of these steps. The United States is not immune.

My fear is sincere. I desperately want to believe the United States is fundamentally different than these European countries, that we are secure from the forces of authoritarianism. I’m searching to see our safety, but I’m coming up short.

Annie Cappetta is a junior majoring in ecosystem science and policy and political science.

Annie Cappetta

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...