Opinion, Staff Editorial

I-Week promotes globalism, challenges closed-border rhetoric

International Week is fully underway on the UC Patio. The driving force of this year’s theme, “Worlds Imagined,” is the idea of unhindered travel. A backdrop resembling the interior of an airplane stands on the stage, and the event promotes itself using the hashtag #visafree.

The event’s theme is an interesting contrast to current policy changes in both the United States and Europe toward securing borders and limiting free travel. In his first few weeks in office, President Trump attempted to administer a startling order suspending travel from several countries, leaving many people who live and study in America legally in limbo.

Tourism from countries even outside of the Middle East to the United States has decreased, according to the U.S. Travel Association, and green card holders are more cautious about traveling out of the country now because of the volatile nature of travel policies.

With the slogan “A world where we stand united doesn’t have to be imaginary,” I-Week’s theme acknowledges the political elephant in the room. The assertion that globalism is a goal, rather than a threat, jabs back at unique obstacles international students, who frequently fly back and forth between their homes at UM and elsewhere, face currently.

In this way, I-Week is not only a celebration of cultures but also a gentle reminder of the privileges and conveniences many students with an American passport take for granted. The cross-cultural world is still one that is not reality. Between the current administration’s policy and fractures in the EU, the borderless, #visafree world seems further away than ever.

While every UM student stresses about grades, social lives and future jobs, there are students among us stressing about their potential place in the world – literally. Beyond the glittering costumes and plates of tasty food, I-Week is an important reminder of the realities that exist beyond American borders for so many of our peers.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Editorial Board

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...