Community, Edge, Music

Canes Carnival to feature DJs Slushii, Seeb in concert

Update, 11:49 a.m., April 7, 2017: Quotes from Kyle Gordon about HP Concerts’ selection of the artists were added.

With April now well underway, it’s once again time to gear up for this year’s Canes Carnival. Hurricane Productions announced April 5 that electronic dance music acts Slushii and Seeb will be performing at the end-of-semester outdoor concert 8 p.m. April 28 on the Foote Green.

“HP reached this decision based off of the hype regarding our Homecoming show and Ultra,” said Kyle Gordon, the current chair of HP Concerts. “We wanted to make sure the students enjoy the experience of the show.”

At only 19 years old, Slushii has made quite a name for himself as a DJ and producer out of Los Angeles with tracks such as “So Long” and “Sapient Dream.” He has also collaborated with the likes of UM Homecoming Concert performer Marshmello.

Seeb, a production trio, is noted for some of its wildly popular remixes, such as that of Mike Posner’s “I Took A Pill In Ibiza” and Coldplay’s “Hymn For The Weekend.”

The lineup promises to satisfy the EDM cravings of many UM students in the wake of this year’s Ultra Music Festival.

“[Seeb]’s ‘I Took A Pill In Ibiza’ remix was the anthem of my entire 2016; I can’t wait to jam out to it live and in the flesh,” said Tyler Ragone, a junior majoring in finance.

Some students were unfamiliar with the acts but excited nonetheless.

“I’ve never heard of Slushii, but it got me in the mood for a Slurpee,” said Eliot Parascandolo, a junior psychology major.

It is expected that many students will attend the show. “The turnout for Canes Carnival is great every year,” Gordon said. “No matter what, there are students attending all of Hurricane Productions’ events for the entire day. The carnival rides and the food trucks help make the last day of classes feel like a day of relief, but the concert is just the cherry on top.”

Aside from the concert, which is open to all students with a Cane Card and will start at 8 p.m., Canes Carnival will feature a wide array of other carnival festivities. Beginning with a daytime BBQ from noon to 2 p.m. at the Lakeside Patio, the events continues with a Patio Jam, Think Fast Trivia at the Rat, a UProv performance in the SC ballrooms, as well as carnival games and rides at the green from 6 to 11 p.m.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Productions. 

Jon Vilardi

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...