Community, Edge, Music

Canes Carnival to feature DJs Slushii, Seeb in concert

Update, 11:49 a.m., April 7, 2017: Quotes from Kyle Gordon about HP Concerts’ selection of the artists were added.

With April now well underway, it’s once again time to gear up for this year’s Canes Carnival. Hurricane Productions announced April 5 that electronic dance music acts Slushii and Seeb will be performing at the end-of-semester outdoor concert 8 p.m. April 28 on the Foote Green.

“HP reached this decision based off of the hype regarding our Homecoming show and Ultra,” said Kyle Gordon, the current chair of HP Concerts. “We wanted to make sure the students enjoy the experience of the show.”

At only 19 years old, Slushii has made quite a name for himself as a DJ and producer out of Los Angeles with tracks such as “So Long” and “Sapient Dream.” He has also collaborated with the likes of UM Homecoming Concert performer Marshmello.

Seeb, a production trio, is noted for some of its wildly popular remixes, such as that of Mike Posner’s “I Took A Pill In Ibiza” and Coldplay’s “Hymn For The Weekend.”

The lineup promises to satisfy the EDM cravings of many UM students in the wake of this year’s Ultra Music Festival.

“[Seeb]’s ‘I Took A Pill In Ibiza’ remix was the anthem of my entire 2016; I can’t wait to jam out to it live and in the flesh,” said Tyler Ragone, a junior majoring in finance.

Some students were unfamiliar with the acts but excited nonetheless.

“I’ve never heard of Slushii, but it got me in the mood for a Slurpee,” said Eliot Parascandolo, a junior psychology major.

It is expected that many students will attend the show. “The turnout for Canes Carnival is great every year,” Gordon said. “No matter what, there are students attending all of Hurricane Productions’ events for the entire day. The carnival rides and the food trucks help make the last day of classes feel like a day of relief, but the concert is just the cherry on top.”

Aside from the concert, which is open to all students with a Cane Card and will start at 8 p.m., Canes Carnival will feature a wide array of other carnival festivities. Beginning with a daytime BBQ from noon to 2 p.m. at the Lakeside Patio, the events continues with a Patio Jam, Think Fast Trivia at the Rat, a UProv performance in the SC ballrooms, as well as carnival games and rides at the green from 6 to 11 p.m.

Featured photo courtesy Hurricane Productions. 

Jon Vilardi

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...