Sports, Tennis

Canes suffer fifth straight defeat in 6-1 loss to No. 11 North Carolina Tar Heels

The ACC stretch has been brutal for the University of Miami, and it continued Friday afternoon on the road at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center as the Hurricanes fell to the No.11-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels 6-1.

Rain delayed the match 30 minutes, and doubles play started at 3:30 p.m. when the Canes (6-8, 0-5 ACC) found themselves in a tight match.  It came down to the wire when Miami seniors Jesse Flores and Max Andrews found themselves up 5-4 but were unable to finish the set on top, falling 7-5 to No. 16 William Blumberg and Robert Kelly.

The match would be decided quickly in singles competition.  UM’s Kevin Bondar was defeated by Jack Murray 1-6, 0-6. Andrews fell to No. 54 Kelly 3-6, 2-6. And Hurricanes junior Nile Clark lost to Blaine Boyden 3-6, 3-6, thus securing the match for the Tar Heels (17-2, 4-1 ACC).

After Flores lost a close singles match 5-7, 4-6, Miami junior Christian Langmo found himself in a dogfight with Blumberg. After dropping the first set, Langmo came back and won the second, but would ultimately fall in a third-set tiebreaker with the team result already decided.

The only point on the day for the Canes came when No. 73 junior Piotr Lomacki upset No. 19 Ronnie Schneider 7-5, 6-4.

Miami will have a daunting task on the road when it faces top-ranked Wake Forest at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Wyatt Geller

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...