Sports, Tennis

Canes suffer fifth straight defeat in 6-1 loss to No. 11 North Carolina Tar Heels

The ACC stretch has been brutal for the University of Miami, and it continued Friday afternoon on the road at Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center as the Hurricanes fell to the No.11-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels 6-1.

Rain delayed the match 30 minutes, and doubles play started at 3:30 p.m. when the Canes (6-8, 0-5 ACC) found themselves in a tight match.  It came down to the wire when Miami seniors Jesse Flores and Max Andrews found themselves up 5-4 but were unable to finish the set on top, falling 7-5 to No. 16 William Blumberg and Robert Kelly.

The match would be decided quickly in singles competition.  UM’s Kevin Bondar was defeated by Jack Murray 1-6, 0-6. Andrews fell to No. 54 Kelly 3-6, 2-6. And Hurricanes junior Nile Clark lost to Blaine Boyden 3-6, 3-6, thus securing the match for the Tar Heels (17-2, 4-1 ACC).

After Flores lost a close singles match 5-7, 4-6, Miami junior Christian Langmo found himself in a dogfight with Blumberg. After dropping the first set, Langmo came back and won the second, but would ultimately fall in a third-set tiebreaker with the team result already decided.

The only point on the day for the Canes came when No. 73 junior Piotr Lomacki upset No. 19 Ronnie Schneider 7-5, 6-4.

Miami will have a daunting task on the road when it faces top-ranked Wake Forest at 1 p.m. Sunday.

Wyatt Geller

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

UM women's soccer blows past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...