News, Student Government

Women’s center bill passed, pending approval by Vice President for Student Affairs

Student Government (SG) Senate voted almost unanimously March 29 to pass a recommendation that the university create a women’s and gender resource center. The authors of the bill, senators David Mejia, Milind Khurana, Dominique Hardy and Justin Grauer and students Carolina Bendaña and Shannon Casey, were relieved to see the project make some progress after weeks of administrative roadblocks and dead ends.

“It’s been extremely frustrating,” said Mejia, a commuter senator and chair of University Affairs (UA).

When UA presented the bill to SG Senate, Mejia said advisers Heather Stevens and Brandon Gross told the committee to get more information about the project, which was kicked off two months ago by a change.org petition that has since accrued 630 signatures.

Mejia said he and his 15-person committee acted and reached out to many different university departments, but the resounding response was “we cannot comment on this.”

The Senate discussed the bill again on March 29, asked questions and ultimately decided to make the resource center a Category D bill, an official recommendation to the university. The bill will now go to Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely, who will then give an approval or denial with reasoning and decide how to proceed.

The goal of the petition is to create a single place where anyone on campus can go to freely express any women or gender-related issues, which include discrimination and harassment as well as heavier issues, such as sexual assault, seniors Casey and Bendaña said.

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...