Campus Life, Crime and Safety, News

UMPD closes in on suspect in BLM banner theft

The University of Miami Police Department (UMPD) is closing in on a suspect in the theft of a Black Lives Matter (BLM) banner from the University Center (UC) Breezeway March 2.

UMPD Captain Bill Gerlach said, upon positively identifying the suspect, the person may face criminal and disciplinary consequences. Gerlach did not confirm whether or not the suspect was a student and did not to go into detail about the open investigation, but said the department would most likely close the case “in the next couple of days.”

“If there is an arrest made, because it’s a misdemeanor theft, it will be up to the property owner whether or not they want to prosecute with the state attorney’s office,” Gerlach said.

According to the UMPD incident report, University Associate Director Brandon Gross reported the theft after he went to the Breezeway to remove the BLM banner that was scheduled to come down that day.

Gross said the banner was sponsored by the Yellow Rose Society, a community service organization consisting of minority women with an interest in social justice.

“When these banners go up, people can’t just come to campus and hang any banner they want up,” Gross said. “It has to have some affiliation with the university or university departments. You’ll see some banners for university departments, but primarily most banners are sponsored by registered COSO [Committee on Student Organizations] organizations.”

Black Awareness Month began on Feb. 1, but the banner was not placed until Feb. 6. Because of this, Gross said Yellow Rose Society members requested the banner stay up until March 6.

In an interview with The Miami Hurricane for an earlier story, senior Jaime Owens, who started the petition to hang the banner in the Breezeway, said the banner was important in challenging the “All Lives Matter” retort that has surfaced as a counter-argument against the Black Lives Matter movement.

UM School of Law Vice Dean Professor Osamudia James, who teaches a course on the BLM movement, said the banner was one way of responding to opponents.

“People are uncomfortable with the phrase ‘Black Lives Matter’ and you have to think about why,” James said. “It’s important to challenge people to think through that negative reaction, and the banner was one way of doing so.”

Nathalie Mairena contributed to reporting. 

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...