Columnists, Here's That Rainy Day, Opinion

Twenty years of wisdom on the small things, the big ideas and everything in between

Last weekend was my 20th birthday. It also happened to be my deadline for this article. So while crouching over my laptop and getting an intellectual hard-on for politics is still one of my favorite pastimes, I wasn’t about to make that the highlight of my weekend. Instead, here’s a list of some of the things I have learned in my 20 years on this earth.

Regarding family: Parents are not perfect and do not know everything, but still know a hell of a lot more than you. Consider taking their advice from time to time. Or keep doing it your way. Either way, you’ll likely find out they were right from the beginning.

Regarding birthdays: Remember them. Some time in October is not a birthday. Facebook posts don’t mean a thing. Pick up the phone.

Regarding friends: Don’t be brash. Mean what you say. Listen more than you guide, and never judge. Vulnerability is a prerequisite to companionship. Forgiveness is a process that is slower than most rivers and more delicate than a house of cards. It deserves to be treated as such.

Regarding sleep: Sleep is one of those things in life that is both a necessity and a privilege. The more you treat it like a necessity, the better. Also, never take a nap without setting an alarm.

Regarding frisbees: Good for a multitude of things – catching lizards, eating crackers in bed, practicing drum rudiments.

Regarding relationships: Don’t try to fix anyone. Figure out everything else on your own.

Regarding alcohol: It will not fix your problems. Use in moderation.

Regarding ice cream: See “alcohol.”

Regarding gratitude: Gratitude makes the world go ‘round. Don’t apologize when you mean to say thank you. Don’t say thank you when you mean to apologize.

Regarding politics: Read the news. Have informed opinions. It’s okay not to know enough about a subject to have an opinion on it. Again, Facebook posts and hashtags mean nothing. Pick up the phone and call your representatives. And never, ever pass up an opportunity to vote.

Regarding the future: Try to have absolute gratitude for what is ahead. Surround yourself with good people and be disciplined in what you love. Always be one of your top five best friends. Embrace the unknown. Expect nothing. Fear nothing.

Godspeed.

Mackenzie Karbon is a sophomore majoring in jazz performance. Here’s That Rainy Day, runs the first Thursday of each month.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Summer Plane.

Mackenzie Karbon

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...