‘Counter info session’ does not represent conservatism

March 21 was a very loud day in the Breezeway. Walking to class, I could hear the discussion at the “counter information session” to Islam Awareness Week. As the discussion got heated, I found myself interested in how many university administrators were supervising the event. It is particularly disappointing that law enforcement had to be at this event – and many others throughout the week – to ensure peace.

The two representatives for this “counter information session” had the right to hold the event but were misguided in how they went about treating the other side. Their statement for banning Islam in this country carries emotional hate directed at Muslim students at the university. The rash and illogical arguments of these representatives make it tougher for other conservatives to speak on campus.

Let me state that the modern Conservative Party is welcoming to everybody on campus – regardless of religion. The session criticized one segment of the American population, which contradicts the ideas on which this country was founded. In order to analyze theocracies that use religion to their own ends like those in the Middle East, we must also recognize other instances of this happening in different faiths – not just Islam – throughout history. Additionally, there is a difference between the policies and cultures of certain states and the faith of Islam as a whole.

Islam and Christianity have teachings that everyone should read, but they also share a similar history of some followers subverting their sacred verses. It seemed, in my perspective, sanctimonious that the organizers of this event could criticize solely Islam.

We should not criticize everyone who follows a religion of peace just because others commit evils prompted by their twisted understandings of it. They do not do it in the name of their belief but for the hatred in their hearts. The true followers of Islam, or any other religion, are good people who do not need to be attacked by an outside group wanting to score political points. The “counter information session,” while within constitutional rights, does not represent my views or the views of fellow conservatives.

Joseph Krupar is a freshman majoring in political science.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user cherrytreeblossoms. 

Joseph Krupar

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...