Crime and Safety, News

BREAKING: Student dies at Red Road Commons

Update, 5:12 p.m., March 30, 2017: The University of Miami Division of Student Affairs confirmed the identity of the student who died as Nicolas de Lavalette in an email sent to students Thursday afternoon. 

De Lavelette was a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences studying economics with a minor in entrepreneurship, according to the statement from Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitley. DeLavalette was a brother of  Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) and was involved in CHABAD and the Undergraduate Sport Professionals’ Organization for Research and Training (USPORT), the email said.

Whitley described De Lavalette as “always willing to hang out and help a friend”  and said he was known for making those around him smile. De Lavalette was originally from France but his family now lives in Coral Gables. 

A memorial for De Lavalette is being planned but details about the event have not been announced. 

For students in need of grief counseling or other assistance, counselors and chaplains are available to students. The Counseling Center can be reached at 305-284-5511 and the contact information for the University Chaplains can be found here. Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely also recommends that students feel free to reach her office at 305-284-4922.

Update, 12:15 a.m., March 30, 2017: Members of Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) confirmed Wednesday night that their fraternity brother Nicolas de Lavalette had died. De Lavalette was a junior and an undeclared arts and sciences major, according to his university profile. A source close to De Lavalette said he lived alone in Red Road Commons, but would not confirm how he died. The university has not confirmed the identity of the student.

University of Miami student and fellow ZBT member Alex Mines posted on Facebook Wednesday night about the loss.

The university has not confirmed the student’s identity.

A University of Miami student died on Wednesday at Red Road Commons housing complex. University spokesperson Megan Ondrizek confirmed the death around 9 p.m., but said the student’s identity could not be confirmed until the next-of-kin were notified.

The incident was reportedly an accident and is under investigation by Miami-Dade County Homicide Bureau.

A handful of students said they saw police cars and ambulances around 3:30 p.m. and a body being carried out of the complex, but most residents who spoke to The Miami Hurricane said they had not heard anything throughout the day on Wednesday.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Tommy Fletcher

Tommy Fletcher can be reached via email at multimedia@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter @_tommyfletcher.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...