Crime and Safety, News

BREAKING: Student dies at Red Road Commons

Update, 5:12 p.m., March 30, 2017: The University of Miami Division of Student Affairs confirmed the identity of the student who died as Nicolas de Lavalette in an email sent to students Thursday afternoon. 

De Lavelette was a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences studying economics with a minor in entrepreneurship, according to the statement from Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia Whitley. DeLavalette was a brother of  Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) and was involved in CHABAD and the Undergraduate Sport Professionals’ Organization for Research and Training (USPORT), the email said.

Whitley described De Lavalette as “always willing to hang out and help a friend”  and said he was known for making those around him smile. De Lavalette was originally from France but his family now lives in Coral Gables. 

A memorial for De Lavalette is being planned but details about the event have not been announced. 

For students in need of grief counseling or other assistance, counselors and chaplains are available to students. The Counseling Center can be reached at 305-284-5511 and the contact information for the University Chaplains can be found here. Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Whitely also recommends that students feel free to reach her office at 305-284-4922.

Update, 12:15 a.m., March 30, 2017: Members of Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) confirmed Wednesday night that their fraternity brother Nicolas de Lavalette had died. De Lavalette was a junior and an undeclared arts and sciences major, according to his university profile. A source close to De Lavalette said he lived alone in Red Road Commons, but would not confirm how he died. The university has not confirmed the identity of the student.

University of Miami student and fellow ZBT member Alex Mines posted on Facebook Wednesday night about the loss.

The university has not confirmed the student’s identity.

A University of Miami student died on Wednesday at Red Road Commons housing complex. University spokesperson Megan Ondrizek confirmed the death around 9 p.m., but said the student’s identity could not be confirmed until the next-of-kin were notified.

The incident was reportedly an accident and is under investigation by Miami-Dade County Homicide Bureau.

A handful of students said they saw police cars and ambulances around 3:30 p.m. and a body being carried out of the complex, but most residents who spoke to The Miami Hurricane said they had not heard anything throughout the day on Wednesday.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available. 

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

Tommy Fletcher

Tommy Fletcher can be reached via email at multimedia@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter @_tommyfletcher.

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

The ITA released Thursday its academic accolades for the 2018-19 season and the University of Miami ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...