Edge, Food

At-home breakfast menu helps cure lazy Sunday mornings

We’ve all been there: it’s Sunday morning, you went out the night before and you need something to get your day going. In these situations, a good diner breakfast reigns supreme. The formula for a good brunch is fluffy pancakes, a savory egg skillet and something healthy, like a chia pudding parfait, to offset the calories. All three of these recipes can be customized, so you’ll never get bored.

With a little preplanning and elbow grease, you can make a meal that would put the best brunch joints to shame. It’s easier than it appears, and the overworked brunch cooks will thank you. The best part is that you don’t even need to put on pants – as long your roommates don’t mind, of course.

Banana Pancakes

Banana Pancakes are a simple recipe to make when living in residential housing. Hunter Crenian // Senior Photographer

• 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 3 eggs, separated
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted; plus some for cooking
  • Pinch of salt
  • Sliced bananas
  • Blueberries
  • Maple syrup

Sift the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl.

Melt the butter over low heat and mix in a separate bowl with buttermilk and egg yolks.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in buttermilk mixture.

Mix until just incorporated. It’s okay if it’s a little lumpy. Overmixing will cause your pancakes to lose their airiness and come out gummy.

Whip the egg whites until they foam and start getting some volume.

Fold into the batter.

Once the batter is made, allow it to rest in the fridge for a few minutes to let the baking powder and acid from the buttermilk work their chemistry magic.

Heat skillet or frying pan over medium heat.

Add a knob of butter to grease the pan.

Once melted and bubbling, pour 1/3 cup of batter – don’t squash it down. As it cooks it’ll flatten out.

Add the banana slices and blueberries into the batter.

Don’t flip the pancakes until you see the edges start to brown and the batter stops bubbling.

Once that happens, flip them and cook for a minute or so to allow the other side to turn golden brown.

Serve warm with a pat of butter and maple syrup.

Egg Skillet with Chorizo and Potatoes

This Egg Skillet is made with chorizo, potatoes, hash browns, chilies and tomatoes. Hunter Crenian // Senior Photographer

• ½ bag Southern-style diced hash browns
  • 2 fresh Mexican chorizos, casings removed
  • 1 can roasted green chiles
  • 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 pack cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 6 eggs

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Heat a cast-iron pan over medium-high heat and add a tablespoon of oil.

Crumble chorizo into the pan and brown.

Remove chorizo from the pan, reserving the rendered oil.

Cook the onions and potatoes in the oil until the edges of the potatoes start to brown.

Add the tomatoes, chiles and chorizo.

Mix evenly and make 6 wells for the eggs.

Crack the eggs into the wells and put the skillet in the oven.

Bake for 10 minutes or until whites are set and egg yolks are runny.

Note: If you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, you can just make the hash in the pan and transfer it to a cake tin for baking.

Chia Pudding Parfait

The Chia Pudding Parfait is a nutritious way to start your morning. Hunter Crenian // Senior Photographer

• 1 ½ cups coconut milk
  • ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 4 tablespoons honey
  • ¼ cup chia seeds
  • Zest of 1 lime
  • cup cut berries
  • Almonds

Combine honey, coconut milk, zest and Greek yogurt.

Stir in chia seeds and pour into container.

Rest in the fridge for three hours until it’s set.

When ready to serve, top with chopped almonds and berries or fruit of your choice.

Andreu Silverman

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...