Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Lavar Ball entertains with ‘Big Baller Brand’

There is no question that UCLA freshman Lonzo Ball has tremendous talent, as he will be a high draft pick in the 2017 NBA draft. His younger brothers LiAngelo and LaMelo will also attend UCLA in the near future – basketball runs in the Ball family.  So why is one family getting all the media attention this past month, and what does it really mean?

Lavar Ball, the patriarch of the family, has turned his personality and charisma into a media circus. Many of Ball’s claims – beating NBA legend Michael Jordan in a game of basketball, saying Lonzo is better than Golden State Warrior point guard Steph Curry, and telling everyone they want a billion dollars for his “Big Baller Brand” – come off as arrogant.

But ESPN and other news outlets have not gotten enough of Lavar. He’s appeared on several talk shows, such as First Take and SportsNation.

To me, Lavar is simply trying to entertain. He is not actually putting pressure on his kids to become NBA legends, even though his exaggerated claims may sound like it.

In fact, Lavar is a caring father who puts his family first and is dedicated to the UCLA basketball program. He was not at the Sweet Sixteen matchup between UCLA and Kentucky because his wife was recovering from a medical procedure.

Lavar also said he was pleased that UCLA Head Coach Steve Alford is staying with the program after speculation of potentially returning to his alma matar, Indiana.

“He knows my boys,” Lavar told ESPN. “I like his style, and I’m glad he’s staying.”

After UCLA was defeated by Kentucky, Lavar was sympathetic toward Lonzo.

“When I talked to him after the game, I told him, ‘You’re going to win. You’re going to lose. It’s OK. No one goes undefeated,’” Lavar said. “They went 15-17 last year and went to the Sweet 16. This won’t be his legacy. It’s just a step to get to the ultimate goal — the NBA.”

I could see the Ball family having its own reality show in the future.

Wyatt Geller

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...