Maddow’s tax return letdown shows need for more accuracy in reporting

Today’s politically charged atmosphere has become a shouting match to prove who is better and who is right. This bitter spectacle prompts people to bypass daily news cycles. But every so often a story breaks that entirely captures the public’s attention.

One of these stories unfolded on Rachel Maddow’s MSNBC show March 21. She tweeted about gaining President Trump’s long-awaited tax returns, but what she gave the public instead was a major letdown. Critics of Trump hoped these tax returns would incriminate the president in a damaging scandal. However, Trump made $153 million and paid $36.5 million in income taxes in 2005 – not the numbers for which his critics were hoping. Maddow received tremendous backlash for the way she hyped up this story to then let her viewers down in the execution.

Reporters are reading too far into situations based on their own assumptions, doing a disservice to the average Americans who count on the media to report based on truth. Maddow’s attempt to force nothing into something is a symptom of the assumption-based, view-crazy media dynamic that exists today.

Exaggerating stories without sufficient substance only disheartens the public and discourages them from trusting the media’s ability to provide accurate news. When reporters sensationalize certain issues, viewers are left feeling misinformed and confused.

Whether the information comes from the right or left wing, reporters need to return to the facts and crucial problems facing the nation. As evident from Maddow’s show, marketing stories solely based on conjecture eventually backfire.

The media has a responsibility to be patient in their reporting, rather than focusing on churning out big headlines that bring in viewers. Reporters must become more aware of their end goals and broaden the scope of issues they cover to provide factual information so the public is able to draw its own conclusions.

Nicole Macias is a freshman majoring in English.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Paul Schultz

Nicole Macias

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...