Community, Edge, Music

Big-name artists to play at Ultra Music Festival 2017

Armin van Buuren on the Ultra Main Stage in 2016. Victoria McKaba // Photo Editor

Ultra, the world’s leading music festival, will return to Bayfront Park for the 19th year in a row next weekend. As always, Ultra promises great entertainment and fun with plenty of LED lights, intricate stages and renowned EDM artists.

This year, Ultra may see technological updates to keep the beats fresh, and the Resistance “Spider” Stage is getting special attention as one of the forefront places of entertainment in the festival. The festival only lasts three days, so be sure to check out these premier artists while you are there.

Major Lazer

Ultra can “lean on” Major Lazer to please the crowd on the festival’s inaugural day. Major Lazer currently consists of three members: Diplo, Jillionaire and Walshy Fire. The group’s first album, “Guns Don’t Kill People… Lazers Do,” came out in 2009. Their most recent album, “Peace Is the Mission,” came out in 2015 and has lifted them to great success with chart-topping singles like “Lean On” featuring MØ and DJ Snake, “Powerful” featuring Ellie Goulding and Tarrus Riley, “Cold Water” featuring MØ again and Justin Bieber, and most recently “Run Up” featuring PartyNextDoor and Nicki Minaj.

11 p.m. March 24

Ultra Main Stage

Alesso

Alessandro Lindblad, better known as Alesso, began playing piano at seven, fell in love with EDM at 16 and started to become renowned for his abilities at 19. Since then, Alesso has released one album, “Forever,” and singles like “If I Lose Myself” featuring OneRepublic, “Heroes (we could be)” featuring Tove Lo, and several remixes of chart-topping songs (“Titanium,” “Party Rock Anthem” and more).

8:35 p.m. March 24

Ultra Main Stage

Ice Cube

A rapper, songwriter, producer, actor and filmmaker, O’Shea Jackson Sr. is known throughout the world as Ice Cube. Ice Cube began his career in 1987 with Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, MC Ren and DJ Yella in the group N.W.A. Together, they released “Straight Outta Compton,” which featured the first songs in the new genre of “Gangsta Rap,” including the song album’s titular song. Some of Ice Cube’s greatest songs include “It Was a Good Day,” “Gangsta Rap Made Me Do It” and “No Vaseline.” He plans to release a new album later this year.

7:45 p.m. March 25

Live Stage

DJ Snake

Nominated for a Grammy in 2012 and 2015, DJ Snake has helped produce several tracks for famous singers, including Lady Gaga’s “Born This Way” album, and has been featured on many other famous singles (“Lean On”). What is possibly his biggest single, “Turn Down for What,” came out in 2013, and he has been topping the charts as a standalone DJ ever since. He recently released his album “Encore,” featuring songs like “Let Me Love You” with Justin Bieber, and “The Half” with Jeremih, Young Thug and Swizz Beatz.

10 p.m. March 26

Ultra Main Stage

Armin van Buuren

Armin van Buuren has been nominated for a Grammy, topped the American and Dutch charts and hosts a weekly radio show called “A State of Trance.” He released his first EP, “Push,” in 1996, with singles like “Blue Fear” and “Communication.” His fifth album, “Intense,” was released in 2013 and earned a Grammy nomination for “This is What It Feels Like” for Best Dance Recording. Van Buuren is known for having incredibly long sets that entrance the audience.

7:30 p.m. March 24

Ultra Main Stage

9 p.m. March 26

Resistance Stage

Esther Ponce De Leon

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...