Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Canes look ahead to Selection Sunday after loss to UNC

A shot at a second ACC Tournament championship was cut short in the quarterfinals as the ninth-seed Miami Hurricanes fell to one-seed North Carolina in blowout fashion, 78-53.

Although UNC came in as big favorites to win this game, Miami competed well in the first half, only trailing 34-29. Many people believed the Canes had a chance to pull off the upset.

The game was still in reach with 9:22 left in the second half, the Canes trailing 57-46. However, UNC would go on a 14-1 run for the next six minutes to put the game out of reach.

Freshman guard Bruce Brown, who had 30 points in the previous game against the Tarheels, was the only bright spot for the Canes. He scored 21 points, collected seven rebounds and went 9-13 from the floor.

Senior Isaiah Hicks was the star for UNC with 19 points on a perfect 9-9 from the free throw line.

Biggest difference in the game was that UNC shot 52.8 percent from the field while Miami was only at 35.8 percent. Although both teams had several fast-break buckets throughout the game, UNC appeared to have more opportunities in the second half off sloppy turnovers from the Canes.

The main concern for the Canes going into the NCAA tournament has been the team’s inconsistencies to play well in the second half, especially on defense, and it has shown in several games this season.

The road game at Duke earlier in the season saw the Canes up 36-25 at the half before being outscored 45-22 and losing 70-58.

Another game saw Miami up 33-26 at the half at Louisville but ended up falling in that one 71-66.

Even though the pressure of playing on the road in the ACC may have impacted the Canes, the team still has not shown the fight it should have at this point in the season.

The Canes have the Selection Sunday watch party at the Rathskeller coming up, and that should bring back the team’s excitement and motivation heading into March Madness.

Wyatt Geller

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...