Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Canes look ahead to Selection Sunday after loss to UNC

A shot at a second ACC Tournament championship was cut short in the quarterfinals as the ninth-seed Miami Hurricanes fell to one-seed North Carolina in blowout fashion, 78-53.

Although UNC came in as big favorites to win this game, Miami competed well in the first half, only trailing 34-29. Many people believed the Canes had a chance to pull off the upset.

The game was still in reach with 9:22 left in the second half, the Canes trailing 57-46. However, UNC would go on a 14-1 run for the next six minutes to put the game out of reach.

Freshman guard Bruce Brown, who had 30 points in the previous game against the Tarheels, was the only bright spot for the Canes. He scored 21 points, collected seven rebounds and went 9-13 from the floor.

Senior Isaiah Hicks was the star for UNC with 19 points on a perfect 9-9 from the free throw line.

Biggest difference in the game was that UNC shot 52.8 percent from the field while Miami was only at 35.8 percent. Although both teams had several fast-break buckets throughout the game, UNC appeared to have more opportunities in the second half off sloppy turnovers from the Canes.

The main concern for the Canes going into the NCAA tournament has been the team’s inconsistencies to play well in the second half, especially on defense, and it has shown in several games this season.

The road game at Duke earlier in the season saw the Canes up 36-25 at the half before being outscored 45-22 and losing 70-58.

Another game saw Miami up 33-26 at the half at Louisville but ended up falling in that one 71-66.

Even though the pressure of playing on the road in the ACC may have impacted the Canes, the team still has not shown the fight it should have at this point in the season.

The Canes have the Selection Sunday watch party at the Rathskeller coming up, and that should bring back the team’s excitement and motivation heading into March Madness.

Wyatt Geller

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...