V's Take

V: Tips for stress-free flings over break

Ah, spring break. Time to kick back, soak up the sun and try something new. Between partying with friends and spending time with family, you might find yourself needing to let off some steam. For some, that means going on a shopping spree or binge-watching Netflix. But for others, that means finding a new fling.

Hoping to turn your break into a week of commitment-free bliss? V has you covered.

Don’t fan old flames.

It’s tempting to hit up your ex from high school if you’re going home. You know the chemistry’s already there, so it’s easy. But if you had feelings for them back then, don’t expect your feelings to magically disappear now. Sure, you’re only looking for casual sex, but emotions are tricky. Don’t risk falling for someone from your past all over again just for a quick fix.

Try tech.

Dating apps are like speed dating, but you can use them at 3 a.m. while sitting naked on the toilet. You’ve got a limited timeframe, so use apps to your advantage. Try out Tinder, Bumble or Grindr, depending upon your preference, and start sending messages. No fancy clothes or expensive drinks necessary.

Know your lingo.

Hookup culture has its own slang and set of rules. If you don’t know what DTF, NSA and ghosting mean by now, it’s time to study up. Don’t get ditched by potential flings because you’re scrambling to word your texts with just the right amount of cool nonchalance.

Tell it straight.

If you’re not interested in someone, don’t lead them on. Sure, it’s tempting to message that hottie who wants a relationship, but it’s not right to act like you’re looking for something serious just to get with someone. Be direct. Not everyone wants the same thing, but there’s plenty of noncommittal fish in the random hookup sea.

Stay safe.

This goes without saying, but let’s say it anyway. Get tested, no studying involved, before and after each partner. If that’s more than you can handle for one week, still use protection during any kind of sexual activity. Yes, oral counts – the herps don’t care what type of foreplay you like – and if you’re engaging in straight sex, remember birth control. If your partner pressures you to go bare, abandon ship. After all, this is a quick hookup. How many other randos have they slept with sans protection? Ew.

Keep these tips in mind when getting down, and you’re sure to come back with fun memories, great stories and (hopefully) nothing contagious this spring break.

-V

Advice Columnist

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...