Student awarded for work with NGO abroad

Photo courtesy Alice Woods

When senior Alice Woods left Cape Town in May 2015 after studying abroad for a semester, she knew she wanted to return. After studying abroad again in spring 2016, she still couldn’t let go of South Africa, so she stayed for three more months.

Woods, a geography and ecosystem science major originally from St. Louis, Missouri, worked with gender justice non-governmental organizations (NGOs) both times she studied in Cape Town. In February, she was recognized for her work in 2016 by IES Abroad as an honorable mention for Global Citizen of the Year.

The award, given out for the first time this year, honors students from around the world who impacted their communities while studying abroad on one of IES’s more than 125 programs.

Woods dove into her work in South Africa, and her NGO, Community Media Trust, threw a project at her in response to her eagerness: write a 40-week curriculum to educate and empower young South African girls ages 12 to 17 who are at risk for HIV. Each lesson taught a certain skill, such as conflict resolution, breast self-examination or how to open a bank account.

If that wasn’t challenging enough, Woods also had to create a broad curriculum that would account for both language barriers and different literacy levels.

“I went into the composition thinking I had a lot of good lessons to teach them,” Woods said. “But what needed to be taught to me at 12 is different than what these 12 year old girls needed to learn.”

Working on the curriculum and traveling around South Africa to implement it taught Woods how to work outside her comfort zone and think of things differently.

“It’s made me try to step back and look at problems from a different point of view and try to understand where people are coming from,” she said.

When she graduates in May, Woods will be attending graduate school for urban planning and hopes to return to South Africa during her career.

Correction, March 9: This article previously stated that IES stood for the Institute of Education Services, which is a different organization. The correct name is IES Abroad. This article also stated that IES honored three students in 2017. The Global Citizen of the Year award honored seven students: one winner, three finalists and three honorable mentions. 

Isabella Cueto

Isabella Cueto can be reached via email at editor@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @isabellacueto

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...