Staff Editorial

Proposed women’s center has potential to make tangible changes

March 8 of every year is recognized as International Women’s Day, dedicated to the celebration of social, political, cultural and scientific achievements of women around the world. But perhaps more importantly, International Women’s Day serves as a reminder of the progress yet to be made and the challenges ahead in achieving true gender equity.

Fittingly, a group of University of Miami women are currently taking initiative to ensure gender equality and justice at UM. On Change.org, students are petitioning for the creation of a Women’s and Gender Resource Center on campus. The center, dedicated to gender equity and sexual assault prevention, would hypothetically provide a physical space for support. The proposed petition highlights the need for an umbrella organization to help unify the many gender-related student organizations and services on campus.

A Women’s and Gender Resource Center would be an important addition to campus if it meets a unique, clear purpose that distinguishes its work from existing initiatives and offices.

Potential issues of redundancy and confusion could arise with this proposed center. If the center offers sexual assault services, would it handle the situation directly? Or would it refer the student to the necessary organization that already exists? Would the center run separately from the LGBTQ Resource Center? If the center is to succeed, it must make gender-related services more accessible and streamlined, not more convoluted. In a difficult situation, the last thing a student should experience is uncertainty as to which office would provide the necessary help.

In the best-case scenario, the center would act as the one-stop destination for all gender-related issues on campus. The university currently has an LGBTQ Student Center and the Sexual Assault Resource Team (S.A.R.T.). Additionally, there are organizations, such as Canes Care for Canes and No Zebras, that are dedicated to preventing sexual assault. The proposed center would benefit from absorbing these under its umbrella, acting as both an overseer and central location for the gender-dedicated resources on campus.

Whether through a specialized center or other avenues, there are certainly small but effective ways to tangibly improve the experience of women on campus. For example, making free feminine hygiene products available on campus would be a practical health and safety measure that would help many, a subject of another UM Change.org petition. The petitions alone are inviting candid dialogue surrounding such issues on campus, and students may increasingly recognize other opportunities to improve their campus.

If the petition results in an all-inclusive Women’s and Gender Resource Center that is open to all students and provides needed services, it will be a valuable resource to the UM community.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Editorial Board

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...