News Briefs 3/9

NEWS BRIEFS 3/9-3/23

Alicia Garza #BlackLivesMatter Lecture

When: 7 p.m. March 9

Where: Student Center Grand Ballroom

Cost: Free

Activist and co-creator of the #BlackLivesMatter (BLM) movement will be featured as a guest lecturer for the University of Miami School of Law’s course on the BLM movement. Garza is expected to speak about the societal issues that created the movement. There will be a question and answer session following Garza’s presentation. The lecture is open to all students and faculty.

RadioFest

When: March 11

Where: The Wolfsonian – FIU

1001 Washington Ave.

Miami Beach, Fla. 33139

Cost: Free-$10

RadioFest

RadioFest, hosted by the Wolfsonian in partnership with Miami’s Public Radio and Television, WLRN and The New Tropic, will be an educational event catered to celebrating radio’s more than century-long existence. The daylong event will consist of various workshops, performances and live talks, including a WLRN pop-up recording booth where radio hosts will record stories live from Miami Beach. Attendees will also be able learn how to transform their mobile devices into analog amplifier radios during workshops. Museum admission is free. Tickets are required for admission to the musical performances. Tickets can be found on the Wolfsonian-FIU website.

TEDxCoconutGrove 2017: Escape

When: March 17

Where: Lewis Family Auditorium

3575 Main Hwy.

Miami, Fla. 33133

Cost: $10-$50

In its fifth year, TEDxCoconutGrove will host a slew of speakers ranging in expertise from music to psychiatry. This year’s presentations will focus on different forms of “escaping” reality and improving mental health through various forms of cerebral stimulation. One of the 12 speakers slated to speak during the event is University of Miami Associate Professor Amishi Jha, who is currently researching forms to strengthen the brain’s attention network. TEDx, a program created by TED, are local, self-organized events meant to engage the community “in a discussion of ideas, to expand perspectives and to make a philanthropic impact.” Tickets for the public day-long event can be found at tedxcoconutgrove.org.

Islam Awareness Week

When: March 20-24

Where: Various locations across Gables campus

The Muslim Students at the University of Miami (MSUM) will host a week full of events aimed at educating the UM community about the Islamic faith. The annual event will consist of various events, each with a different theme, held around campus. One of the events, Ask a Muslim, will focus on providing students the opportunity to ask practicing Muslim students questions regarding their faith and religion. See a complete list of the week’s events on here.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...