Multicultural Student Affairs offices relocate to UC second floor

The office of Multicultural Student Affairs (MSA) has relocated to a new home in the Whitten University Center (UC). The office was previously located in Rhodes House, which will be demolished in the near future to make space for the university’s $155 million housing project.

The new location on the second floor of the UC occupies suite 2300F, originally storage rooms and meeting spaces for student organizations. The suite includes a patio, computers and printers for student use, a common area for students to study and three offices for MSA administrators.

MSA, an umbrella organization that oversees 40 cultural organizations, seeks to assist its organizations by providing resources to panels and programs, which encourage diversity and social justice, Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely said.

Known for helping in programs during Black Awareness Month and Hispanic Heritage Month, MSA was located at the Rhodes House for two years and in the now-demolished Building 21 before that. The new office space was officially opened with a celebration at the new location on March 8.

Whitely, who gave opening remarks at the open house, told The Miami Hurricane that the move to the second floor of the UC was ideal. It is now located in the same area as the LGBTQ Resource Center and Asian Cultural Suite, with which MSA works.

“It’s in the center of campus, a brand new space, it sends a message that we value diversity and MSA is a piece of all of that,” Whitely said. “And there is also good synergy with LGBTQ Center and Multicultural Student Affairs now.”

Renee Callan, director of MSA, said the move brings it closer to students. The office provides resources to minority students for scholarship opportunities and internships.

Callan said there have been no changes to MSA’s services. Additionally, the campus can expect to see more diversity programming. She said the umbrella organization will continue to offer programming related to the president’s mission of inclusion and diversity. Callan said if any new programming is created, it is a result of MSA trying to make itself relevant to the president’s mission and students’ lives.

“You see new things coming up,” Callan said. “That’s not a function of the move, it’s the function of making your office relevant.”

MSA has always allowed students to utilize its office space for studying and student organization meetings, but walking to the Rhodes House, located near the volleyball courts by Eaton Residential College, had put some students off in the past. Now at the UC, the office is much closer to the center of student life.

“It’s a wonderful location,” Callan said. “We are much closer to where students are – the students that use our office space – so we are excited about it.”

Rick Reneau, treasurer for the Filipino Student Association (FSA), a student organization under MSA, said that MSA has been helpful in organizing FSA’s budget and finance. The new location makes it help much more accessible and easier to find.

Marcus Lim

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...