Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Director Amy Deem, sprinter Shakima Wimbley win regional track and field awards

The United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) announced regional award-winners for the 2017 indoor track and field season Monday. The association named University of Miami Coach Amy Deem the South Region Women’s Track and Field Coach of the Year for the second year in a row, and Hurricanes senior Shakima Wimbley the South Region Women’s Track Athlete of the Year.

“It’s an honor to be recognized by your peers, but I have to give credit to our coaching staff and our student-athletes,” Deem told HurricaneSports.com. “They’ve believed in our goals and performed so well this season. I would not be receiving this individual award without our collective efforts to achieve our goals.”

Deem and Wimbley led the Miami Hurricanes, currently ranked No. 12 in the nation, to their second-consecutive ACC Indoor Championship title.

“It’s been an amazing indoor season for me, and I’m very honored to receive this award,” Wimbley told HurricaneSports.com. “I am also so happy for coach Deem. She has been working hard to make sure we are prepared to compete well and achieve our goals. She deserves to be recognized because she is an amazing coach.”

Wimbley will compete in two events at the 2017 NCAA Division I Track and Field Indoor Championships March 10 and 11 at Texas A&M University in College Station. Other Hurricanes competing in the meet are Michelle Atherley, Brittny Ellis, Ebony Morrison and Aiyanna Stiverne. ESPN3 will livestream the event, while ESPN2 will air a re-broadcast at 7 p.m. March 12. For more information, click here.

Chloe Harrison

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...