Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Director Amy Deem, sprinter Shakima Wimbley win regional track and field awards

The United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association (USTFCCCA) announced regional award-winners for the 2017 indoor track and field season Monday. The association named University of Miami Coach Amy Deem the South Region Women’s Track and Field Coach of the Year for the second year in a row, and Hurricanes senior Shakima Wimbley the South Region Women’s Track Athlete of the Year.

“It’s an honor to be recognized by your peers, but I have to give credit to our coaching staff and our student-athletes,” Deem told HurricaneSports.com. “They’ve believed in our goals and performed so well this season. I would not be receiving this individual award without our collective efforts to achieve our goals.”

Deem and Wimbley led the Miami Hurricanes, currently ranked No. 12 in the nation, to their second-consecutive ACC Indoor Championship title.

“It’s been an amazing indoor season for me, and I’m very honored to receive this award,” Wimbley told HurricaneSports.com. “I am also so happy for coach Deem. She has been working hard to make sure we are prepared to compete well and achieve our goals. She deserves to be recognized because she is an amazing coach.”

Wimbley will compete in two events at the 2017 NCAA Division I Track and Field Indoor Championships March 10 and 11 at Texas A&M University in College Station. Other Hurricanes competing in the meet are Michelle Atherley, Brittny Ellis, Ebony Morrison and Aiyanna Stiverne. ESPN3 will livestream the event, while ESPN2 will air a re-broadcast at 7 p.m. March 12. For more information, click here.

Chloe Harrison

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...