Baseball, Sports

Miami wins off balk 3-2 against Dartmouth

Josh White // Staff Photographer

After a disappointing hitting display on Friday night, the No. 17 University of Miami Hurricanes turned things around, evening the series against Dartmouth on a thrilling yet controversial “balk off” in the ninth inning in a 3-2 win on Saturday night at Mark Light Field.

Dartmouth (3-2) broke the stalemate in the fourth inning with back-to-back solo home-runs from Michael Ketchmark and Kyle Holbrook. The 2-0 lead didn’t last long, however, as Miami (4-5) responded with composure in the bottom of the fourth.

Senior designated hitter Johnny Ruiz led off with a ground-rule double to left field but was thrown out trying to tag up to third on a fly out from junior outfielder Carl Chester. The Canes rallied back with a single from sophomore Romy Gonzalez and a walk from senior Edgar Michelangeli.

The bases were loaded when Dartmouth starting pitcher Cole O’Connor hit Christopher Barr. Miami senior Randy Batista took advantage with a two-RBI single to left field, tying the score at 2 apiece.

It was another great performance on the mound for the Hurricanes. Junior lefty Jeb Bargfeldt tied a career high with six innings-pitched in just his third Miami start. He struck out a career-high eight batters, allowing six hits.

Freshman Albert Maury Jr. came in for relief, pitching two scoreless innings. He recorded two strikeouts and walked two to keep the score level. Maury Jr. has only allowed one run in his first five appearances as a Cane. Sophomore closer Frankie Bartow recorded his first win of the season after pitching a scoreless ninth inning.

Gonzalez opened the ninth with a single to right field and advanced to second on a ground out from Michelangeli. He then advanced to third after a balk from Big Green pitcher Patrick Peterson. An intentional walk to Barr put runners on first and third with one out.

On the ensuing batter, Peterson turned quickly to try to pick off Barr at first base but saw that first baseman Ketchmark was not on the base. A slight hesitation caused Peterson to throw a lofted ball to Ketchmark. Miami coach Jim Morris ran out onto the field pleading for another balk.

After time for the umpires to talk and an argument from the Big Green head coach, the balk was given – Gonzalez came home, and the Hurricanes celebrated the win.

Miami finally found a glimpse of its hitting stoke, out-hitting Dartmouth 8-6. Seven different Hurricanes recorded at least one hit in the win, led by Gonzalez, who finished 2-4 with two runs. Batista finished 1-3 with 2 RBIs.

Miami will look to win the series at noon Sunday when the two teams return to Mark Light Field.

Jabari Wilbon

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...