Baseball, Sports

Miami wins off balk 3-2 against Dartmouth

Josh White // Staff Photographer

After a disappointing hitting display on Friday night, the No. 17 University of Miami Hurricanes turned things around, evening the series against Dartmouth on a thrilling yet controversial “balk off” in the ninth inning in a 3-2 win on Saturday night at Mark Light Field.

Dartmouth (3-2) broke the stalemate in the fourth inning with back-to-back solo home-runs from Michael Ketchmark and Kyle Holbrook. The 2-0 lead didn’t last long, however, as Miami (4-5) responded with composure in the bottom of the fourth.

Senior designated hitter Johnny Ruiz led off with a ground-rule double to left field but was thrown out trying to tag up to third on a fly out from junior outfielder Carl Chester. The Canes rallied back with a single from sophomore Romy Gonzalez and a walk from senior Edgar Michelangeli.

The bases were loaded when Dartmouth starting pitcher Cole O’Connor hit Christopher Barr. Miami senior Randy Batista took advantage with a two-RBI single to left field, tying the score at 2 apiece.

It was another great performance on the mound for the Hurricanes. Junior lefty Jeb Bargfeldt tied a career high with six innings-pitched in just his third Miami start. He struck out a career-high eight batters, allowing six hits.

Freshman Albert Maury Jr. came in for relief, pitching two scoreless innings. He recorded two strikeouts and walked two to keep the score level. Maury Jr. has only allowed one run in his first five appearances as a Cane. Sophomore closer Frankie Bartow recorded his first win of the season after pitching a scoreless ninth inning.

Gonzalez opened the ninth with a single to right field and advanced to second on a ground out from Michelangeli. He then advanced to third after a balk from Big Green pitcher Patrick Peterson. An intentional walk to Barr put runners on first and third with one out.

On the ensuing batter, Peterson turned quickly to try to pick off Barr at first base but saw that first baseman Ketchmark was not on the base. A slight hesitation caused Peterson to throw a lofted ball to Ketchmark. Miami coach Jim Morris ran out onto the field pleading for another balk.

After time for the umpires to talk and an argument from the Big Green head coach, the balk was given – Gonzalez came home, and the Hurricanes celebrated the win.

Miami finally found a glimpse of its hitting stoke, out-hitting Dartmouth 8-6. Seven different Hurricanes recorded at least one hit in the win, led by Gonzalez, who finished 2-4 with two runs. Batista finished 1-3 with 2 RBIs.

Miami will look to win the series at noon Sunday when the two teams return to Mark Light Field.

Jabari Wilbon

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...