Community, Dance, Edge

SalsaCraze turns up heat with Latin dance lessons

Sophomore Ariella St.Rose salsa dances with junior Daniel Borges during SalsaCraze in the Fieldhouse Wednesday night. Hunter Crenian // Senior Photographer

SalsaCraze brings Miami culture to life for its members as they practice a variety of Latin dance moves. Founded 14 years ago, SalsaCraze a meets Wednesday and Friday nights on campus and brings instructors together with a diverse group of students and community members together to learn practice and enjoy salsa.

“A friend dragged me,” said sophomore Morgan Mavis, a marine science and mathematics major. “That was October of my freshman year. The first time I went to class, I fell in love.”

Mavis is now the secretary of the club and attends classes almost every week.

SalsaCraze was started by a group of students originally from a club called The Dancing Ibis, which involved ballroom-style Latin dancing. This group of students added a syllabus to the regimen and formed what is today known as SalsaCraze.

There are five classes at each level: beginner, intermediate, advanced and master. Members can test into higher levels at their own pace.

“We teach our entire syllabus every day of class, so people can start at any point in the year and still learn something brand-new, even if it’s the last week of finals,” said SalsaCraze president Daniel Borges, a junior majoring in marketing and management.

Borges began coming to SalsaCraze his freshman year rather spontaneously.

“I saw two people dancing to music on a Friday afternoon in the Breezeway, and they said they were part of SalsaCraze. I was intrigued, so I said, ‘What’s that? What’s going on?’,” he said. “I went to my first lesson – it was free. I had a blast and I’ve been hooked ever since.”

The first lesson with SalsaCraze is free, and membership for the semester is $25, which averages to less than $1 per class. It is open to both students and non-students.

Since Borges joined three years ago, the club has grown exponentially, partly because of great interest in learning more about Miami culture and the fun, easy-going atmosphere of the members and instructors.

“Since I began, our average class size has increased from 50 people to up to 150,” Borges said. “We get regular attendance, and the parties have expanded from around 50 people to up to 300 attendees.”

“I started in August,” said freshman Emma Purcell, who studies global business studies and marketing. “I love SalsaCraze. This is easily my favorite thing that I’ve done here so far. It’s just really, really good energy and good people.”

Along with classes, SalsaCraze hosts monthly parties, usually in the Shalala Student Center. Last month, it had a Valentine’s Day party, and on March 10 it will host a St. Patrick’s Day party. They usually go from 8 p.m. to midnight.

Whether you have been dancing your entire life or have two left feet, SalsaCraze provides a great atmosphere full of people who share a goal of learning salsa.

“No matter what, coming to SalsaCraze makes you feel great. We really developed a family here,” Borges said.

Friday practices are in the Storm Surge room in the UC at 6 p.m., and Wednesday practices occur at varying locations at 7 p.m. For more information about the classes, contact Borges at salsacraze@gmail.com or follow SalsaCraze on Facebook.

Esther Ponce De Leon

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...