Baseball, Sports

No. 17 Miami Hurricanes score four runs in seventh inning to defeat FAU Owls 5-2

Johnny Ruiz still isn’t quite healthy enough to play second base at the moment, but he made the most of his time as designated hitter on Wednesday night.

With the bases loaded, the senior hit a two-run single in a four-run seventh inning to seal the University of Miami 5-2 victory over Florida Atlantic in Boca Raton.

It was the No. 17 Hurricanes’ (3-4) first mid-week matchup of the season, and freshman pitcher Gregory Veliz was on fire – for the majority of the contest. But, he would get pulled after allowing back-to-back singles that led to loaded bases, and ultimately, two scores for FAU (4-3-1) that gave it a 2-1 advantage in the bottom of the fifth.

From that point on, it was all Canes led by reliever Andrew Cabezas, who got himself out of multiple close calls with Owl runners in scoring position. With UM up three, he would pitch two scoreless innings, and closer Frankie Bartow would finish up in the ninth to get the win.

Veliz, a two-position player, struck out five in his four innings of work. He started the season playing first base in games one and two against Rutgers. But Miami Coach Jim Morris’ plan is to have him pitch on Wednesdays.

Lead-off hitter James Davison had a drag bunt up the first-base line that gave Miami a 3-2 advantage with no outs in the top of the seventh.

Junior outfielder Carl Chester, who has struggled to start the season batting just .182, blasted a solo home-run in the top of the third inning to give the Hurricanes their first run. He also dropped the bunt that loaded the bases for Miami in the seventh, through which two more Canes would score.

There were some scary moments for both teams in the contest.

Hurricanes freshman catcher Michael Amditis got hurt running to first base in the top of the fourth inning. The training staff checked on him, and he was carted off the field with an apparent leg injury. The severity of the injury is not yet known.

Amditis was replaced by senior catcher Joe Gomez.

Two FAU outfielders collided in shallow right-field in the top of the eighth. They were found to be fine and remained in the game.

Miami will face off against Dartmouth College in a three-game weekend series starting at 7 p.m. on Friday at Mark Light Field.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...