Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Miami track and field ranked in top 10 for first time in program history

The Miami Hurricanes women’s track team is ranked in the top 10 for the first time in school history.

On Monday, the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association announced that the program is the No. 10-ranked team in the country. Miami, which just repeated as ACC Indoor Track and Field Champions, is gearing up for the upcoming NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships at Texas A&M University in College Station.

The NCAA announced men’s and women’s indoor championship qualifiers Tuesday.

Shakima Wimbley and Brittny Ellis have qualified for the women’s 400m preliminary round in the championship indoor meet. Wimbley’s time of 51.20 seconds from the ACC Indoor Championships is the fastest time in the NCAA. Wimbley and Ellis will join Aiyanna Stiverne and Michelle Atherley in the women’s 4x400m relay.

Atherley is one of the top-five qualifiers in the women’s pentathlon after a record-setting performance at the ACC Indoor Championships. She accumulated 4,281 points to set a new school record and conference-championship record.

Ebony Morrison has qualified for the women’s 60m hurdles. Her personal-best 8.12 seconds from the ACC Indoor Championships secured her spot in the National Championship prelims.

ESPN3 will live stream the National Championships on March 10 and 11. A re-broadcast will air at 7 p.m. on March 12 on ESPN2.

For a complete list of qualifiers, click here.

Chloe Harrison

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...