Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Miami track and field ranked in top 10 for first time in program history

The Miami Hurricanes women’s track team is ranked in the top 10 for the first time in school history.

On Monday, the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association announced that the program is the No. 10-ranked team in the country. Miami, which just repeated as ACC Indoor Track and Field Champions, is gearing up for the upcoming NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships at Texas A&M University in College Station.

The NCAA announced men’s and women’s indoor championship qualifiers Tuesday.

Shakima Wimbley and Brittny Ellis have qualified for the women’s 400m preliminary round in the championship indoor meet. Wimbley’s time of 51.20 seconds from the ACC Indoor Championships is the fastest time in the NCAA. Wimbley and Ellis will join Aiyanna Stiverne and Michelle Atherley in the women’s 4x400m relay.

Atherley is one of the top-five qualifiers in the women’s pentathlon after a record-setting performance at the ACC Indoor Championships. She accumulated 4,281 points to set a new school record and conference-championship record.

Ebony Morrison has qualified for the women’s 60m hurdles. Her personal-best 8.12 seconds from the ACC Indoor Championships secured her spot in the National Championship prelims.

ESPN3 will live stream the National Championships on March 10 and 11. A re-broadcast will air at 7 p.m. on March 12 on ESPN2.

For a complete list of qualifiers, click here.

Chloe Harrison

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...