Edge, Movies

Miami Film Festival to offer diverse film series, keynote speakers

Miami-Dade College’s Miami Film Festival (MFF) has brought world-class cinema to Miami since 1984. The festival runs March 3-12 and takes place at several theaters in the Miami area. MFF opens 7 p.m. Friday, March 3, with “Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer” at the Olympia Theater.

The festival consists of several series which include the Marquee Series, the Soiree Series, the Knight Competition, the HBO Ibero American Competition, Cinema 360 and Florida Focus. All the events at the festival can be found here at the festival’s website.

MFF has hosted and introduced prestigious filmmakers such as Pedro Almodóvar, Spike Lee and Joel and Ethan Coen. In past years, famous faces like Michael Caine and Anne Hathaway have graced the festival’s red carpet. This year, both Rossy de Palma and Radu Mihaileanu will be in attendance for the Marquee Series. Mihaileanu, the Romanian-born French director of “The History of Love,” will give a presentation preceding the film’s premiere. De Palma, an Almodóvar muse, will participate in a conversation about the film in which she stars, “Traveling Lady.”

Along with films, the festival will host four talks curated by Google. These keynote talks and Q&As will discuss gender and racial gaps in film and technology. The festival will also premiere about a dozen short films.

MFF follows its mission to “bridge cultural understanding and encourage artistic development by provoking thought through film.” It is an exciting week of cinema that offers films for fans with varying tastes. As Mexican film director Alejandro Iñárritu reminds us, “Cinema is universal, beyond flags and borders and passports.”

To see all that MFF has to offer, visit miamifilmfestival.com. Tickets can be bought as passes, packages or individual tickets. Purchase tickets online or call 1-844-565-6433.

Tristan Niskanen

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

This just in: University of Miami at Florida State will kick off in Tallahassee at 3:30 p.m. on Oct. ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

University of Miami women's golfer Dewi Weber wasted little time this season in adding to her a ...

The University of Miami's football game at Florida State on Oct. 7 will kick off at 3:30 p.m. E ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...