From Broadway to Ring, ‘Spring Awakening’ provokes audiences with sexual coming-of-age story

Teenage angst. Sexual discovery. Rebellion against a stifling social order.

These are just a few of the phrases that might describe UM’s undergraduate production of “Spring Awakening,” the Tony-Award-winning musical playing at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre until Saturday.

“Spring Awakening,” now playing at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre on Miller Drive, tells a story of sexual discovery and tragedy in a community of German teenagers. Students get in free with a Cane Card at the Totally Tuesday 8 p.m. show. Photo courtesy Lisa Dozier King.

The gutsy, young rock musical may not be for everybody. Even though this adaptation has already been toned down from the original production, several scenes will leave you shifting in your seat. On opening night, an entire group of audience members sitting in one of the front rows left after intermission.

But if you are brave enough to venture to see the show, you will find yourself entirely captivated.

The provocative musical, with book and lyrics by Steven Sater and music by Duncan Sheik, was adapted from an 1891 play about young people discovering their sexuality in a conservative, religious German town. Under the direction of theatre arts professor Laura Rikard, the show is bursting with talent from all the (figurative) corners of the stage, and  the challenging roles spotlight the male talent in the theatre department in ways we have never seen before.

Junior Andrew Gryniewicz (“Children of Eden”) convincingly captured the intelligence and frustration of protagonist Melchior Gabor.  Melchior’s deal is that everyone in his town seems to have no curiosity about anything beyond what they already know (“All That’s Known”). Also, like all the other characters, he’s itching to get some action (“Touch Me”) and finds himself drawn to Wendla Bergmann, the female lead played by junior Emma Harper.

Melchior, played by junior Andrew Gryniewicz, confronts school administrators during “Totally F—ed” in the Department of Theatre Arts’ production of “Spring Awakening.” Photo courtesy Lisa Dozier King.

The parents of all of the characters try their best to keep their children in the dark about sex (“Mama Who Bore Me”), but well-read Melchior decides to enlighten his male peers about female anatomy. This includes his friend Moritz Stiefel (junior Branden Holzer), a nice, timid guy who always seems to be down on his luck. Between his wet dreams (“The B—- of Living”) and his grades, Moritz seems to struggle with everything, and Holzer (“Children of Eden,” “As You Like It”) once again pulled off one of the strongest performances in the show. While Gryniewicz’s Melchior glowed with conviction, Holzer’s Moritz rocked the stage with unbridled nervous energy (“And Then There Were None,” “Don’t Do Sadness”).

Moritz, played by junior Branden Holzer, struggles in class during Act 1. Photo courtesy Lisa Dozier King.

One bone to pick is that the roles of Wendla and Ilse Neumann (senior Ellie Goldenberg) were played safely. It would be nice to see the female leads inhabit these characters more comfortably during their solo moments. As the week goes on, they may have a chance to further settle into these complex characters.

Nonetheless, the best thing about “Spring Awakening” is its ability to showcase the talent of its entire cast through high-energy ensemble numbers. The show made great use of lighting and its simple set. The Frost musicians did the instrumentals justice. Vocal solos from both the leads and the supporting cast were incredible, the harmonies raised goosebumps, and the cast brought its all while raucously dancing and jumping over the set during numbers like “Totally F—ed.”

Junior Matt Paris and senior Madelyn Paquette rotated through their many different roles with relish, playing everything from draconian school administrators to sexy piano teachers. Junior Emma Freeman also surprised audiences in her riveting portrayal of Martha, a schoolgirl with a haunting secret (“The Dark I Know Well”).

Without revealing too much, “Spring Awakening” manages to be funny, tender, exhilarating and bittersweet in the course of a couple of hours. Those who are not easily squeamish will find themselves wanting to see the show again and again, possibly playing the Spotify cast album on repeat for the weeks afterward.

Student tickets are $10 with a Cane Card. During the Ring Theatre’s Totally Tuesday events, tickets are free for students on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Tuesday performance will also be followed by a discussion in conjunction with the UM LGBTQ Student Center.

Rating: 4/5 stars

If You Go: 

“Spring Awakening”

Where: The Jerry Herman Ring Theatre, 1312 Miller Drive, Coral Gables, South Miami

When: 8 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, 2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 27 to March 4.

Cost: $25 regular admission, $10 student tickets and free with Cane Card on Totally Tuesday

Rating: Recommended for those 15+ years in age.

For more information, call 305-284-3355 or visit www.as.miami.edu/ringtheatre/.

Jackie Yang

Jackie Yang can be reached via email at jyang@themiamihurricane.com.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...