Basketball, Sports

No. 25 Miami gives up 10 threes, falls to Virginia Tech 66-61

The University of Miami took part in a shootout Monday night. But, it picked the wrong team to challenge, allowing the Virginia Tech Hokies to hit 10 three-pointers en route to a 66-61 loss.

No. 25 UM took a 52-51 advantage with 4:43 left in the second half on a Davon Reed free throw, but that would be the last time the Hurricanes would have the lead. The Hokies finished the contest on an 18-11 run and rode the momentum of their home crowd to break the Canes’ four-game winning streak.

Hokies guard Ty Outlaw, who came into the match averaging just five points-per-game, hit eight from downtown for 24 points, and fellow backcourt member Seth Allen scored 12 second-half points off the bench to stun the Hurricanes.

In a contest that included nine lead-changes and seven ties, UM (20-9, 10-7 ACC) could not match the hot shooting of V-Tech – who ranks first in the conference in both field-goal and three-point percentage. It showed, and the Hokies shot 51 percent from the field compared to the Hurricanes’ 43 percent.

Sophomore guard Anthony “Amp” Lawrence Jr. scored a team-high 18 points to lead the Canes. Redshirt senior captain Kamari Murphy added 13. Senior guard Davon Reed had a difficult shooting-night, hitting just three of his 10 attempts for 11 points, but grabbed a game-high nine rebounds.

After an effective defensive performance against Duke in its last matchup, Miami struggled to slow down the Virginia Tech (21-8, 10-7 ACC) offense that exhibited quick, pin-point ball movement.

The Hokies, who have one of the most balanced offenses in the ACC, had six players score in double figures in a 16-point win against the Boston College Eagles in their last matchup. Against the Canes, they had just two, but it ended up being just enough.

Virginia Tech shot lights out from the opening tip, jumping out to a quick 10-1 advantage. UM was down 27-26 at halftime.

The Hurricanes took their first lead of the game on a Bruce Brown three on the first possession of the second half, but it didn’t last long as the Hokies continued to sink shots from range.

UM capitalized off opposing turnovers, taking 12 more shot attempts than Virginia Tech but couldn’t match its efficiency.

Miami looks to get back on track when it travels to Tallahassee to face off against rival No. 15 Florida State in its regular-season finale. Tip off is set for 4 p.m. on Saturday in the Donald L. Tucker Civic Center.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...