Basketball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes ranked No. 25 in national polls

Coach Jim Larrañaga is showing why he deserves some serious consideration for ACC Coach of the Year.

He has led the University of Miami to its first appearance in the national rankings this season – No. 25 in both the AP Poll and the Coaches Poll.

For the majority of the season, the Hurricanes have dealt with inconsistency – what the coaching staff attests to only having nine-scholarship athletes eligible to play and just two seniors on the roster.

But as of late, Miami has been on a roll, winning six of its last seven – including back-to-back against ranked opponents Virginia and Duke – which has more than likely solidified its chances to make the NCAA Tournament.

The Canes (20-8, 10-6 ACC) claim their fifth 20-win season in Larrañaga’s six years as head coach.

Freshman guard Bruce Brown continues his superb play in his first year, averaging 19.5 points in his last two matchups.

Brown was named ACC Freshman of the Week today for his performances.

Miami is set to face off against Virginia Tech at 9 p.m. tonight in Blacksburg.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...