Basketball, Sports

Miami Hurricanes ranked No. 25 in national polls

Coach Jim Larrañaga is showing why he deserves some serious consideration for ACC Coach of the Year.

He has led the University of Miami to its first appearance in the national rankings this season – No. 25 in both the AP Poll and the Coaches Poll.

For the majority of the season, the Hurricanes have dealt with inconsistency – what the coaching staff attests to only having nine-scholarship athletes eligible to play and just two seniors on the roster.

But as of late, Miami has been on a roll, winning six of its last seven – including back-to-back against ranked opponents Virginia and Duke – which has more than likely solidified its chances to make the NCAA Tournament.

The Canes (20-8, 10-6 ACC) claim their fifth 20-win season in Larrañaga’s six years as head coach.

Freshman guard Bruce Brown continues his superb play in his first year, averaging 19.5 points in his last two matchups.

Brown was named ACC Freshman of the Week today for his performances.

Miami is set to face off against Virginia Tech at 9 p.m. tonight in Blacksburg.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...