Community, Dance, Edge, Food, Movies, Music, Theater

Weekend Watch: Okeechobee Fest, ‘Annie,’ Miami Film Festival, Best of the Second City, Carnaval on the Mile

Okeechobee Fest

In its second year, Okeechobee Fest will bring great music to Sunshine Grove, a two-and-a-half hour drive north. The rock, indie, hip-hop and EDM festival will feature big-name artists, such as Kings of Leon, Mike Posner, Usher and the Roots, and Wiz Khalifa. The four-day Paradise Pass costs $279.50, not including fees and parking.

March 2-5

441 NE 160th St.

Okeechobee, Fla.

“Annie”

Tomorrow is only a day away as “Annie” arrives at the Arsht Center. In this Tony Award-winning musical, 11-year-old Annie lives in an orphanage, but she never loses her optimism and hope of one day reuniting with her family. Tickets start at $29. The University Village is funding 36 free tickets for the Saturday evening show with transportation on March 4.  Details and sign-ups for the wait list, which is open to non-UV residents, are available at the UV main office on Albenga Ave.

8 p.m. March 3, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. March 4, 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. March 5

1300 Biscayne Blvd.

305-949-6722

Miami Film Festival

The Miami Film Festival brings artists and film lovers together, and ticket sales help  fund projects by new filmmakers. Screenings include “Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer,” about a man played by Richard Gere who befriends a rising politician. Tickets for individual movies cost $10 for students. The films are screened at various locations throughout Miami.

March 3-12

305-237-3456

Best of the Second City

Originally made famous in different cities by comedians like Tina Fey, Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell, The Second City comedy group is presenting “Best of the Second City” at the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center. Prepare for top-notch improv and audience involvement. Tickets start at $35.

8 p.m. March 4

10950 SW 211th St.

786-573-5300

Carnaval on the Mile

Carnaval on the Mile has occurred annually since 1978 and celebrates all parts of Latin culture. During the festival, guests can dance, taste delicious food and gaze at Latin artwork. Calle Ocho finishes the event. Admission to Carnaval on the Mile is free. Food connoisseurs can RSVP on EventBrite for Cork and Fork for $50 food and wine tastings.

10 a.m. to 10 p.m. March 4-5

Between LeJeune and Douglas Road

305-644-8888

Esther Ponce De Leon

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...