Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Miami vs Duke, a match worth watching

Home court advantage has been the storyline for men’s basketball in the ACC this season. On any given night, the team at the bottom of the ACC standings is capable of beating a visiting top team.

This case suits the currently unranked Miami Hurricanes, as the team hosts the No. 10 Duke Blue Devils.

With the success, culture and opposing hatred by other schools that Duke University has been known for under head coach Mike Krzyzewski during the past 35 years, playing against Duke is a marquee matchup for any team. Coach K’s teams are almost always ranked in the top 25 in the national standings, drawing in viewers watching at home and selling out crowds to see them play in the opponent’s venue.

For Miami, much anticipation surrounds how junior guard Ja’Quan Newton does in his first game back from suspension and how Canes should play him. Will Coach L start him or will Newton go back to his sixth man role like last season? Either way, do not expect Newton’s minutes to be reduced that much.

This game has little-to-no effect on the future; Duke has clinched a spot in the NCAA tournament, and Miami will almost certainly be there too if the team beats Duke or at least one more game down the road, including the ACC tournament. It seems 20 wins is the magic number for major and some mid-major conference teams to make it to the Big Dance.

Whether you love or hate Duke basketball, most people find it hard to look away as the team plays.

Wyatt Geller

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...