Opinion, Staff Editorial

Overpacked sorority suites signal need for change in recruitment

Five hundred and fifty women at the University of Miami were offered bids to Panhellenic sororities this past spring, shattering the expectations of recruitment officersWhile the large numbers represent an exciting time in sorority life, the volume of students participating in Greek life presents new challenges.

Certain sorority members are already concerned with the overcrowded pledge classes. Some have complained about packed, overheated suites, while others have voiced that the amount of members makes it difficult to get to know everyone in any given sorority.

In order to deal with the congested suites, the university and its sororities have few theoretical options. UM could expand its options of chapters on campus, work with the chapters to find alternative accommodations and possible housing, or the sororities themselves could simply reduce the quantity of bids they offer.

At this point, expanding sorority facilities is a nearly unachievable task. Every sorority would have to agree to off-campus housing in order for the university to pursue that option, and even then the real estate would be expensive and hard to find. Each sorority would be tasked with finding the space and then subsequently raising the money to pay for it.

The only real choice the sororities have is to get smaller at a steady rate. Currently, sororities are expected by the national organizations to accept a minimum number of women depending on the number of people participating in the recruitment process. As more women participate in recruitment, the sororities must increase bids at an unsustainable rate. Despite concerns regarding exclusivity, the sororities on campus would benefit from cutting the amount of bids they offer.

Sororities have every right to be exclusive when there is such high demand, particularly if exclusion benefits the greater good of the sorority. When there are so many different ways to get involved on campus, groups should not have to bloat their numbers without benefit. If the sororities find a way to reduce bids while staying true to their missions avoiding discriminatory recruitment practices, then the entire Panhellenic system would benefit. Smaller numbers would leads to closer friendships — and more comfortable suites.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...