V's Take

Dear V: I’m pregnant … how do I tell my boyfriend?

My boyfriend and I have been dating for about a year. I’m a senior in college, and he’s a junior. A few months ago, we got tested together, so we’ve been having sex without condoms for a while. I trust him not to cheat, and I’m on the pill. I’ve never missed a dose.

But last week, I threw up a couple days in a row in the morning. I don’t have a light stomach, so I’ve never experienced this before. Before bringing it up to anyone, I went to the pharmacy and bought a couple at-home tests, and … I think I’m pregnant.

They both came back positive. I know sometimes these cheap at-home kits can give false results, but with the puking and all, I’m so scared. I don’t know what to do – should I tell my boyfriend?

I don’t think I’m ready to have a baby, but I don’t want to hide this from him either. Please help me come up with a way of breaking the news and figuring out what to do after that. Neither of us are prepared for this.

Sincerely,

Worried Wendy

Dear Wendy,

First, see a doctor and confirm you’re pregnant. Whether you bring your boyfriend, a trusted friend or a family member, it’s up to you – you can even go alone if that’s what feels right. Make sure you’re certain you’re pregnant before letting your anxiety get the best of you.

If you are pregnant, take the news as calmly as you can. No matter what happens, time keeps moving forward and the world will keep spinning. A pregnancy is just what it is: a new life being brought into the world, not the end of yours.

I agree that you should tell your boyfriend. While it’s your body and your right to do what you want with it, it’s his child too, and you won’t want to spend the rest of your life hiding a secret like this. Besides, imagine the hurt it would cause him to know you didn’t tell him.

If you two have a strong relationship, deciding what to do together will help you both. It can be overwhelming to make these kinds of decisions on your own, and knowing somebody is by your side can be a great comfort.

Remember there are options: keeping the baby, adoption and abortion. Within these choices, there are other options, too: asking a relative for help with raising the baby while you finish school, an open adoption where you can have contact with your child later on, or a closed adoption where you can’t.

Tell your boyfriend, weigh the options together and do what’s best for you.

To talk with a professional about options, call the American Pregnancy Helpline at 1-866-942-6466.

-V

Advice Columnist

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team posted a 6-2, 6-0 victory against No. 5 ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...