Art, Community, Edge

Art Wynwood diverse works feature common theme of tumultuous social climate

Hunter Crenian // Senior Photographer

Wynwood bustled with vibrant works of art, crowds and sounds even more than usual during its Art Wynwood festival last weekend. The event, which returned to the urban-art paradise for the sixth year in a row, sets itself apart from Art Basel with its new approach to showcasing contemporary art.

The artwork highlighted the new, underground street spin on classic art forms like pop art, surrealism and collage.

While the works featured came from over 50 galleries all around the world, including countries like Russia, Cuba and Argentina, one clear theme presided within all of the works: tumultuous political climate.

Photographs depicted immigrants en route for a better life. A series of aggressive capital words and an image of a barely visible, faded Cuban flag amid a wide field of grass expressed the chaos of the current political environment.

“Black Book” by Christopher Wool. Screenprint. Shellie Frai // Contributing Photographer

Los Angeles-based artist Edwin Baker painted a somber scene including a burned bridge, the New York City skyline and ghostly imagery set against a night sky.

Edwin Baker stands next to his painting “Every Struggle.” Shellie Frai // Contributing Photographer

“The painting is about our struggle, the struggle everyone goes through,” Baker said.

Baker’s idea of society’s everyday struggle was mirrored in a more hopeful light in another section of the fair. In the tent, a wing called “Cernuda Arte Latin American Art” showcased over 40 Latino artists’ work.

One of the most memorable paintings in the wing was a 90-by-28-inch canvas oil painting by Roberto Fabelo, titled “Persistence.”

The painting depicts a father and two sons bracing rough currents to get to a mother and child. At the bottom of the painting are thin cursive words that could be read like a mantra: “persistence, persistence, persistence.”

“Persistence” by Roberto Fabelo. Oil on canvas. Shellie Frai // Contributing Photographer

The notion of never giving up and striving to reach success during times of stress came up in not only Fabelo’s paintings, but also in artist Cey Adams’ famous American flag collages.

Artist Cey Adams stands in front of his American Flag collection. Shellie Frai // Contributing Photographer

Adams used America’s most iconic symbol to tell a story of unity and empowerment.

“This piece is symbolic of a better life, of gratitude. It is about us,” Adams said.

Art Wynwood’s diverse approach to the current divisive social climate allowed the fair attendees to learn new stories from people of all backgrounds and gain new perspectives on what it means to be not only American, Cuban or Russian, but human.

Shellie Frai

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...