Blogs, WCGSports

WCGSports: Canes basketball wins defensive standstill over Virginia

It can be difficult getting into rhythm when you know in advance the other team dominates defensively at home. The Canes found that out in an ugly, low-scoring game that had both Miami and Virginia shooting themselves in the foot throughout.

With 23.8 seconds left in the game, Bruce “Almighty” Brown came to the rescue with a flair from beyond the arc, putting the Canes ahead for good, as the team defeated the Virginia Cavaliers 54-48 in overtime.

Senior guard Davon Reed and the Canes thought they survived their shooting woes when he banked in a 3-pointer at the buzzer, but it was just a tad late, and the game went into overtime.

So how were the Canes truly able to pull off this road win despite committing 15 turnovers and shooting a dismal 36.6 percent from the field?

1. Virginia could not execute any sort of momentum throughout the game. The Cavaliers shot 31.4 percent from the floor, as senior guard London Perrantes was off tonight, shooting just 2-15 from the field. Maybe the thought of former Cavalier Malcolm Brogdon’s jersey being retired got to him. In addition, Virginia was careless with the ball, committing two costly turnovers.

2. Miami hit its shots when they counted the most. A 3-pointer from freshman guard Dejan Vasiljevic tied the game late in regulation, and Brown’s shots were crucial for the finale of the game.

3. The classic charity-stripe game that appeared to skew the way the Canes were shooting was the hidden stat. The team was 20-22 for 90.9 percent from the free throw line – a remarkable feat for an away ACC game. Virginia was 13-20 for 65 percent from the line. This shows why free throws are so vital.

The win secured the Canes a second consecutive trip to March Madness. With Duke coming to town Saturday afternoon and the return of junior guard Ja’Quan Newton, many can expect an epic final home game at the Watsco Center.

I will see you there.

Wyatt Geller

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...