Basketball, Sports

With Ja’Quan Newton out, Hurricanes defeat Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 70-61

Ja’Quan Newton was out. Bruce Brown was playing with tonsillitis. Ebuka Izundu had to leave the game in the second half because of cramps.

Against some difficult odds, the University of Miami was resilient and overcame what was shortened to a six-man lineup to defeat the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 70-61 on Wednesday night in the Watsco Center.

Senior guard Davon Reed, as he often does, stepped up to the challenge, scoring 21 points to lead the Hurricanes (17-8, 7-6 ACC).

Miami got separation on the scoreboard with a 7-0 run late in the second half, which pushed its lead to 12. Georgia Tech would take a one-point lead at the 14:13 mark of the second half, but from there it was all UM. The Hurricanes went on a 20-6 run from that point, putting the game out of reach for the Yellow Jackets.

Miami Coach Jim Larrañaga lauded his team’s resilience given its many health issues coming into the game.

“At this time of the year, the freshmen normally hit a wall and are drained. [Brown] played 37 minutes. [Huell] played 21,” Larrañaga said. “And against the ninth-ranked defense in the country, we shot 55 percent from the field, 50 percent from three and 81 percent from the foul line. So [it was]an outstanding offensive performance.”

Kamari Murphy helped lead UM to win the rebound battle, outmatching Georgia Tech (15-11, 6-7 ACC) 29-16 on the boards. Murphy pulled down a game-high eight rebounds.

“We’re playing well, but we need everybody to play well,” Larrañaga said.

Sophomore guard Anthony Lawrence Jr. replaced Newton in the starting lineup. Lawrence struggled, tallying just four points in 28 minutes, so Larrañaga elected to close the game with freshman sharpshooter DJ Vasiljevic. Vasiljevic came through with one of his best performances of the year, providing a spark off the bench with 13 points that included three triples.

Forward Dewan Huell, who was also less than 100 percent with an ankle injury suffered in the game against Louisville, was another freshman who played big in key moments, scoring 13 in 21 minutes.

Miami announced earlier on Wednesday that it had suspended Newton – the team’s starting point guard – for three games due to a violation of team rules. It is his second suspension in the past two seasons.

“Discipline is about teaching,” Larrañaga said. “We’re going to try to help you learn the difference between doing things right and doing things that aren’t quite so right.”

Guard Josh Okogie and center Ben Lammers led the way for Georgia Tech, scoring 18 and 15 points, respectively.

Miami will host Clemson at noon on Saturday before playing back-to-back ranked opponents in No. 14 Virginia and No. 12 Duke.

Lior Kozai

There is, indeed, a three-man quarterback race at the University of Miami. As spring came to a close ...

The Miami Hurricanes, for the past few years, have gone as far as their defense would take them, let ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando: ▪ The quarterback play was ...

The Miami Hurricanes just wrapped up their spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, where th ...

Mark Richt, speaking publicly for the first time since retiring as the Miami Hurricanes’ coach, said ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

The No. 23 Miami Hurricanes dropped the series finale on Saturday at No. 8 Louisville, 9-6. ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...