Commentary, Sports

Hurricanes Basketball: ACC Predictions

Feb. 18 – Clemson vs. Miami

The final breather before a late season gauntlet, Miami simply must take this game at home to avoid a late season free-fall. While bottom-four Clemson has a lowly conference record of 3-9, it is better than the numbers would indicate. For starters, the Tigers have lost six of those games by five points or less, and half of those by three or fewer, so some average late-game luck would have seen this team in the thick of the conference’s middle class. Instead, they have settled towards the bottom, despite the best efforts of top gun Jaron Blossomgame. The senior forward has put forth an excellent campaign, and he’s a threat to drop 20 points on any given night. Fellow senior Avry Holmes is this team’s other top scorer, with a perimeter game to complement Blossomgame’s interior scoring. Just over two-thirds of Holmes’ field goal attempts come from downtown, which he knocks down at a 43 percent clip. He’s been remarkably consistent, hitting multiple threes in nine of his last 12 outings, meaning Miami will need to close out hard and run him off the line. UM certainly shouldn’t look past this game because Clemson could surprise the Hurricanes if they aren’t careful.

Miami 72 – Clemson 70

Feb. 20 – Miami @ Virginia

A trip to Charlottesville kicks off a stretch of three ranked-opponents in four games, and Tony Bennett’s group will be raring to go in this ESPN-broadcasted game on Monday night. Pegged by many to drop off from recent seasons that brought top NCAA Tournament seeds, the Cavaliers have kept the good times rolling with their trademark pack-line defense and senior leadership. Senior guard London Perrantes, finally the top dog after recent seasons of being a supporting player behind Justin Anderson and Malcolm Brogdon, is putting together a great final year. Perrantes leads his squad in points, assists and made threes. While the numbers aren’t mind boggling (12.6 ppg and 3.9 apg), keep in mind that Virginia plays at one of the slowest paces in the country, which depresses the offensive stats of everyone on the team. Recent setbacks to Syracuse and Virginia Tech aside, Virginia generally beats who it’s supposed to beat and fights close battles with fellow ranked opponents. Miami might have the juice to get an early lead like against Louisville, but its offense isn’t good enough to overcome Virginia’s signature defense.

Virginia 77 – Miami 64

Justin Sobelman

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...