Trump administration is playing a dangerous game with Iran policy

On Feb. 2, Press Secretary Sean Spicer made the blunder of falsely accusing Iran of attacking a U.S. naval vessel, following a statement by former national security advisor Michael Flynn that Iran was officially being put “on notice.”

Spicer’s statement came from the White House following Iran’s missile test and an attack by Yemeni Houthi rebels, who are backed by Iran, on a Saudi naval vessel. Several media sources were quick to pick up the story – including Fox News, which initially misreported that the Pentagon believed a U.S. ship to be the real target of the attack on the Saudi vessel. One can only speculate if the mishap was simply an innocent mistake, or if it was one intended to drum up such a response to sway public opinion in favor of anti-Iranian policy.

It would be irresponsible and naïve, perhaps, to take this incident in isolation; the dissemination of blatantly false information is and always has been how American wars begin. President Lyndon B. Johnson used false accusations of North Vietnamese attacks in the Gulf of Tonkin to urge congressional approval of U.S. military action in the state, and the invasion of Iraq sanctioned by President George W. Bush was allotted by the false claim that there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq within months of 9/11.

Since the press briefing, both the United States and Iran have begun to engage in a so-called “war of words,” encouraging both patriotism and terror, and warning of “dark days to come” should there be any show of military force, according to an influential advisor to the supreme leader of Iran.

Despite Iran’s claims that the medium-range ballistic missile test did not violate UN resolutions nor the 2015 nuclear deal, Trump has stated that “nothing,” including military action, “is off the table.” The United States quickly followed the comments with sanctions on 13 Iranians and 12 companies.

Perhaps more concerning is the fact that among those responsible for tempering President Trump’s irrationality and negligence are Defense Secretary Gen. James Mattis, former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn, chief strategist Stephen Bannon and CIA chief Mike Pompeo — a who’s who in Washington for anti-Iran hardliners. Many now fear that the executive branch’s greatest weakness in dealing with Iran is its apparent readiness to dial up conflict without possessing the levelheadedness to ease tensions.

With the president’s alienating executive orders and rhetoric against Iranians, along with supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei’s promise that America will regret military intervention, it is critical that U.S. citizens remain vigilant and be wary of fact versus fabrication.

Elizabeth Strack is a junior majoring in political science and English literature.

Featured image courtesy Flickr user Fibonacci Blue

Elizabeth Strack

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...