News Briefs 2/16

Drag Out

WHEN: Feb. 16 at 8 p.m.

WHERE: Donna Shalala Student Center Center Ballroom

SpectrUM will hold its fourth annual DragOut, an event composed of a drag show, competition and charity fundraiser. The event is aimed at raising awareness about the LGBT community at the University of Miami. This year, the show and competition will be be hosted by Tiffany Fantasia, a drag queen that has performed for over a decade at Palace, a Gay night club on Ocean Drive. According to the event’s Facebook event, half of the net profit made will go to Pridelines, a South Florida organization focused on supporting, educating, and empowering youth members of the LGBT community.

Spring Career Expo

WHEN: Feb. 22 from 1-5 p.m

WHERE: Watsco Center

The Toppel Career Center will host its annual Spring Career Expo for students looking to explore internship, job and networking opportunities. The expo brings hundreds of local and national companies from different industries including business, communication, government, and science technology agencies.

Students of all majors can attend. Admission is free but professional dress is required.

“Fleeing Atrocities: Witness Perspectives”

WHEN: Feb. 22 at 7 p.m.

WHERE: The University of Miami Newman Alumni Center

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM) in conjunction with the University of Miami will be bringing two speakers to share their experiences with the persecution and displacement. The event will feature Alfred Munzer, a Holocaust survivor,  and Mouaz Moustafa, a Syrian immigrant and Executive Director of the Syrian Emergency force. Through the speaker’s stories, the event aims at creating a dialogue about current threats to peace around the world. Students interested in attending can RSVP here.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...