Opinion, Staff Editorial

Make student-athletes more accessible

Now more than ever, high-profile college athletes are being treated as university employees, not students. Their status as university brand-builders and revenue-makers separates them from the rest of the student population. At UM, the athletes of popular sports, particularly for flagship sports like football and basketball, are isolated from their non-athlete peers due in part to stringent rules established by not only the NCAA but also the athletic department and team coaching staffs.

These student-athletes receive heavy restrictions on what they can and cannot say to media publications. Players, especially the high-profile ones, are trained to give answers that evade truly answering certain questions. They answer the limited media questions with scripted non-answers – “We didn’t execute the way we wanted to,” or “We just want to come out here, practice hard and make sure everyone is on the same page.”

“Because of my era and all that stuff in the ‘80s, there’s an image issue,” said Dan Sileo, a defensive lineman for the Hurricanes football team from 1985-86. “At the end of the day, do you think if a kid gives a bad answer they’ll forgive him? Every time a kid makes a mistake he pays for it with a pound of flesh.”

Additionally, the athletic department restricts student journalists from asking questions and talking to athletes in class. While these rules are seemingly a reaction to the sanctions and bad press UM has had to deal with in the past decade, the restrictions end up hurting the athletes for the sake of protecting the athletic programs themselves.

The student-athletes are adults and should be able to choose for themselves what they say to the public. These stringent rules damage the quality of reporting, separate the student athletes from their peers and fail to prepare the athletes for potential professional careers after college.

These rules turn the athletes into premature celebrities, isolating them from the rest of the student body. Athletes are almost always walking, eating and hanging out with other athletes. While teammates should reasonably become close, some athletes seem to rarely interact with other students.

The athletic department is not helping this insulation with its regulations, and it is not good training because, in the real world, there is no written rule prohibiting someone from approaching pro athletes for questions.

High-profile student-athletes should not be hidden away by overprotective practices. Instead, they should be able to practice their own judgment and have the opportunity to candidly interact with peers as UM students.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board. 

Editorial Board

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...