V's Take

Dear V: Girlfriend stars in movies, but not on silver screen

The other night, I was in my apartment having some “alone time,” if you will. You know, the type with tissues, lotion and … the internet. Anyway, I was on a fairly obscure porn site that requires a paid subscription. I was getting into it and then, what do you know: there’s my girlfriend, buck-ass naked, bouncing around in a video.

The video was posted a couple of years ago, so this was before we started dating. We’ve been dating eight months.

I can’t help but feel this is something she should’ve told me about. Isn’t being in porn one of those types of secrets you’re supposed to divulge to your partner after a while? I mean, I confessed to her that my body count is really high – you’d think that would’ve opened the door for her to tell me.

What should I do? I don’t want to start a fight about this, but I honestly feel a bit lied to.

Sincerely,

Kept-in-the-dark Kevin

Dear Kevin,

Whoa, that’s a biggie. Now, there’s nothing wrong with being in the sex industry – it is an industry, after all – and we don’t want to fall down the slippery slope of slutshaming.

That said, you’re right. This is one of those things that she should’ve eventually told you, perhaps at the two or three-month mark. That’s not to say she should’ve divulged the dirty details the moment she met you. I can just imagine that first date:

“So, what do you like to do in your free time?”

“Well, I’m in porn. Y’know, orgy, POV, bondage, stuff like that.”

Yeah, no. But, if you’ve opened up to her about your own baggage, she should reciprocate. However, I wouldn’t consider this a bold-faced lie, but rather a lie by omission. Perhaps she really needed the money and was in the video out of desperation, or maybe it’s just a part of her life she’d like to leave behind. I doubt it was an intentionally malicious lie, so don’t feel that she was hiding it to hurt you. It’s much more likely she was hiding it to protect herself.

At some point, you’ll have to talk to her about it. If you keep it a secret that you found the video, you’re doing the same thing you’re upset that she did. But don’t go all-out and confront her angrily. This isn’t the same type of lying as cheating or stealing from you.

Just be honest and tell her you found the video, and see where the conversation flows from there. And hey, maybe down the line you two can film your own home video and forget all about this one.

– V

Advice Columnist

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...